Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL >

My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL

My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL

Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 AM

Default Singer: I just purchased a Machine almost like this one

The serial number is: NLT 7011310, I have been told it's a reproduction, I'm also still trying to find out more info. Singer is on the machine plus underneath, metal gears, motor and is Black with Gold color decals. In the center of the base is also gold decals surrounding a bird in flight.
I will add photo when I can. I wouldn't have purchased it if I had known it's a reproduction.

Originally Posted by prairie_girl View Post
Not sure what the NL is and I'm trying to find somewhere that I can check into the serial number to see what I bought. Hopefully it's good and I haven't wasted my money. It seems loud when it sews but maybe a good oiling would cure that? Anyone have any ideas or info?

My new machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244058[/ATTACH]
Old 08-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Default Singer: I just purchased a Machine almost like this one

I forgot add, does anyone know if there are attachments & manual available for this, since it is a reproduction??? The one I got didn't have anything with it? I paid $30.00 for mine and is in absolute mint condition.

Originally Posted by prairie_girl View Post
Not sure what the NL is and I'm trying to find somewhere that I can check into the serial number to see what I bought. Hopefully it's good and I haven't wasted my money. It seems loud when it sews but maybe a good oiling would cure that? Anyone have any ideas or info?

My new machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244058[/ATTACH]
Old 08-08-2018, 10:28 AM

Really pretty!!! Love the decals and if it's all metal gears I'd say you have a winner for under a hundred bucks.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boston Mom View Post
I forgot add, does anyone know if there are attachments & manual available for this, since it is a reproduction??? The one I got didn't have anything with it? I paid $30.00 for mine and is in absolute mint condition.
The reproduction manual I've seen were just basically two pages that told you how to thread it,etc.. not much to write home about. Any short shank fiddly bits should work, if you own a Featherweight those fiddly bits will fit.

Cari
Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Unhappy manual

Sadly I don't have a 221 … out of my pocket range.

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The reproduction manual I've seen were just basically two pages that told you how to thread it,etc.. not much to write home about. Any short shank fiddly bits should work, if you own a Featherweight those fiddly bits will fit.

Cari
Old 08-08-2018, 12:57 PM

I collect vintage singers and if I had seen that even knowing it was a REPRO I'd buy it...just for the decals and look...
I bought the REPRO featherweight anniversary 160 a few yrs ago and that baby is a work horse and loud even though it doesn't look anything like a real featherweight...I use it more then my $1000.00+ machines...
Enjoy it and admire the beauty of it...
Old 08-08-2018, 03:10 PM

It is a real Singer. As I understand it, Singer is now owned by the Chinese and this machine is still sold to 3rd world countries that don't have reliable electricity.

Here's a manual that should tell you most everything you need to run the machine. On a vintage 15, you have to turn a knob on the bottom to drop the feed dogs. On this one, the knob to drop the feed dogs is on the bed next to the bobbin spool. (That knob is what tells you it's not a vintage machine.)

The manual: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...al-rotated.pdf

Most of the accessories from the Singer 201, 15, 66, 99 and featherweight should work on this machine. They are everywhere and usually cheap as hardly anyone sews anymore (I think I have 4 buttonholers for this machine). Check auction sites, thrift stores, goodwill, etc. Feet are just short shank feet which are sold most everywhere.

bk

Last edited by bkay; 08-08-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: one more thought
Old 08-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by scowlkat View Post
Don't despair yet! Here is a link to website showing different Singer decals. That looks just like the one called the Sphinx or Egyptian. I would check a little further before being so dismayed!

http://treadleon.net/oldtreadleonia/...ls/decals.html
This link didn't work, but I've seen it before. The reproduction machine has reproduction Sphinx decals. The difference is the color of the decals. That bright loud gold didn't exist until the 70's.

Hope it's a good machine for you, prarie girl.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Boston Mom View Post
Are you still looking for this information? I have one I purchased at a thrift store that looked like it was never used, had all the attachments and papers, including the "sew cloth" that used to be included. I can check for this if you still are looking.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 AM

I have this machine with serial number NLT 7011310 … purchased at Antiques store early last spring. I lost interest with even trying to use , once I found out that it was possibly made in Taiwan, Singer had given them permission to make this machines after WW II. The machine itself is in excellent condition, their were no attachments in the case. I would like to know more about the machines themselves.[ATTACH=CONFIG]607609[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer  SN NLT 7011310.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	607609