Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Why do sewing machine manufacturers quit making parts for older machines? >

Why do sewing machine manufacturers quit making parts for older machines?

Why do sewing machine manufacturers quit making parts for older machines?

Old 08-31-2018, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I do understand all those practical financial reasons.

However, I am still frustrated when I can't get a major part for one of my very favorite machines.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:22 PM

I didn't dislike the 1951 model 401a I had but never really loved it either. I think the more simple machines appeal to me more.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I bought one - maybe I should have had it tuned up or something - I actively disliked it.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I bought some parts for my 401A just this week, a new power cord and outlet cord. I've been watching and listening different owners of the 401A about this or that going out so I thought why not. better to have and not need than to need and not be able to get. Have done that with a few other things too for different things around the house.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I bought some parts for my 401A just this week, a new power cord and outlet cord. I've been watching and listening different owners of the 401A about this or that going out so I thought why not. better to have and not need than to need and not be able to get. Have done that with a few other things too for different things around the house.
I don't think you have to worry about the cords not being produced. There's still way too much interest and too many machines that use the same cords.

Cari
Old 09-01-2018, 07:01 AM

I have started a folder of electrical connection pics... many more to go.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19922.html
Old 09-01-2018, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Bkay you'd be surprised at how far 3D printing has come. Steel is being done I just looked it up. It won't be long until the plastic gears and other parts that are the bane of our beloved VSMs are being replicated in metals.

Cari
I'm sure they are doing metals now. I'm also sure it's very expensive. 3D printing is fine for one off's. If you are having a part made for your own personal use and are willing to pay the price it's good, but for doing thousands of pieces its just not that cost effective now. Maybe at some point in the future the costs will come down, but right now . . . .
Old 09-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I'm sure they are doing metals now. I'm also sure it's very expensive. 3D printing is fine for one off's. If you are having a part made for your own personal use and are willing to pay the price it's good, but for doing thousands of pieces its just not that cost effective now. Maybe at some point in the future the costs will come down, but right now . . . .
You'd be surprised at how few sizes of parts there actually are in Japanese machines, regardless of manufacturer. The hook drive gear that I need for my National Princess will fit at least a hundred other machines, so no, not a one-off at all. Zig zag gears and internal cams are other parts that are the same couple of sizes across a spectrum of machines. No, there will be a market for these parts. Even if some end up being made of the same substance they were originally, well, they lasted 60 years or better so new ones will last another lifetime.

Cari
Old 09-07-2018, 10:12 AM

I agree that it is getting harder and harder to find specific parts or presser feet for the older machines.

I have been on the hunt for a Bernina older style #62 presser foot for quite awhile with no luck . I have left my name and number with many repair places just in case they might come across a used one. (if you have a source please let me know)

My local OSMG retired 3 years ago and I truly miss his knowledge and ability to find a part or foot for one of my vintage machines. He was a great source for info and help whether it was to fix a machine or find a used part/foot for a specific brand of machine. I have come across a few "new owners" of sewing 'repair' shops that are within a 4 hour radius drive from me and they are not interested in the vintage stuff - told me they wouldn't touch it because they are too much work and don't yield a profit - some just toss the "old stuff" out

I realize that there are many terrific newer models with newer technology that can do wonderful things but I love the sound and feel of vintage machines. I marvel at "their" abilities and "their technology". It makes me sad to know that even in a few more years it will get even harder to find parts to help them "sing" again and run like they should. Guess I will have to search a little harder and try to be more resourceful.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Banned

Deb have you joined any Facebook sewing machine groups? I saw a set of old style Bernina feet and several other fiddly bits get sold for $30 a few days ago. I think the ad lasted 5 minutes lol. Screamin' deal. Anyway, the point is, you need to widen your search parameter. Maybe someone here will read this and have one. I got help with a foot I needed just recently.

Cari
Old 09-08-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
I have started a folder of electrical connection pics... many more to go.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19922.html
I like that idea! It would be a great source.