Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My machine quit sewing and I don't know why! >

My machine quit sewing and I don't know why!

My machine quit sewing and I don't know why!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 AM

I've had my little Janome about 7 years or so and absolutely love it. I love my machine, I've not thought about replacing her. I figured out I cannot FMQ anything bigger than 36 x 45 on it, but it does SID fine with the walking foot. I mostly quilt by hand anyway. It's a Janome 415. No computer or computerized stuff on it. It does basic stitching and has a few decorative ones. I use all my quilting feet on it. It's so easy to use.

So after that premise....here's what happened. Out of nowhere, my machine started acting up. In the middle of stitching, I had my foot on the foot pedal and it just stopped. No whirring noise, no anything, no movement, no grinding, no noise at all. It was like the power was off but the light was on. I took my foot off, but it back on again, it went two stitches and did it again. It did this for 2 days. I figured, if I stomped on the foot pedal much more, I was going to break the machine. Then the thread started breaking. It would stitch 2 stitches or so, stop completely, then the thread would break.

I completely rethreaded it, replaced the bobbin, pulled all the metal crap under the bobbin out, cleaned and oiled it. Then I pulled the rubber stoppy thing of the side of it, took that part off, and brushed lint in the part of the machine that the thread goes through. That still didn't work. I put my machine away for a few hours, cause it took me that long to find a manual...then I pulled it all back out again.

The machine seemed to have known I pulled out the manual because it's sewn like a dream since. The problem stopped as quickly as it started. I won't tell you what I told my machine, or threatened her with. This is a nice family board and it's not meant for that type of language. :)

Do any of you know what could have happened to it? She's not due for another service until June. I really don't want to have to take her in. They take a few days for diagnostic stuff and I can't be without my machine that long at the moment. I strategically plan a lull in my machine work to accommodate her servicing. I need her to work too much right now. And I don't have a backup, but that will end up being another thread should I decide I need a backup.

What do you all think?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 AM

It's possessed. Holy water, burning chicken feathers and the proper chant should do the trick.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
It's possessed. Holy water, burning chicken feathers and the proper chant should do the trick.
LOL, a little sage burning to boot !
Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Scissor Queen - that is hilarious!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Maybe the cord to the foot pedal has a fray in it? or it could have been kinked someway? My sisters machine did that. she got a new foot pedal and its working fine now. You might see if your repair shop has an extra pedal they will let you borrow to see if that is the problem. Hope it keeps on sewing for you now..my machine knows I can have a potty mouth when it acts up..when I finish sewing I always thank my machine for being nice to me *L* give it a pat on the head then shut it off so it can rest...
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Maybe she just wanted some TLC and a short vacation!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 AM

did you check the connection in the foot peddle? I ask because......get my viking all set up at new place and go to sew. nothing. check the connections...all set up. won't sew. take it apart...clean...won't sew...this goes on for a week of me moaning alternately with blinky blank machine something must of happened when we moved. So, finally trap my husband on a day off to go in there and look. He leans over the side and then asks what does this go to? I look at him and say that is the plug to the foot peddle, still clueless. He goes well, shouldn't it be plugged in too to the side of the machine? gee, it sewed.
I still haven't heard the end of it. I have also had the cord work lose where it plugs into the foot peddle. maybe just a lose connection or short wire? check that before taking it in. otherwise, go with it. working now and that is all that matters.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM

If you had been sewing for a while the resister in the foot petal may be getting weak and got hot and had to cool off
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Hahahaha, I think this is it :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 AM

years ago I had a machine freeze up on me...took it into the shop and guy asked me when the last time it was oiled???oiled like in a car???? I was so dumb, have learned since. LOL he oiled it and held the foot pedal down and after about 5 minutes it started to move...he said "man that sucker was dry" you can believe I never did that again...could this be the problem with yours????