Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Question >

Hand Quilting Question

Hand Quilting Question

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM

Thank you for asking this question. I submitted the same question earlier and have been waiting for an answer. I use a 14 inch hoop. I rest part of the hoop on my sewing table so I can use my hand under the hoop to feel the needle. I love lap quilting!!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 PM

I have a Hinterberg frame too, however I used to do stab stich on it. My middle finger right hand has bad arthiritis (unfortunately so do my others but this one is the worst) so I have regretfully stored it in a bedroom now. I found the lady's comment who quilted with her index finger instead of middle finger very interesting. I had to import my frame to Australia, we had nothing like it here. I do make some of my quilt piecing on a treadle machine which also has a lovely rythm like hand quilting.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 PM

I use a wooden hoop (about 18 inches) that I hold in my lap. I put the foot up on my recliner and enjoy the relaxationas much as I enjoy the hand quilting.
When I make the "sandwich" I use large safety pins to keep it stretched out. When I place the first section in the hoop, I make sure the top fabric is taunt; then I make sure the backing fabric is tight. Occaaionally I have to loosen it a bit. If it's too tight it is hard to make small stitches.
I use a small needle to aid in making small stitches, also.
Ilike the "Betweens"
I use Coats and Clark Quilting thread.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:16 PM

One tip I was given - Cut your thread twice as long as normal, take a stitch and pull it through to half its length. You then stitch out in one direction with that half and end off, then put your needle in the other half and stitch out in that direction and end off.

You are only working with the usual length of thread for each half but end up getting twice as far for half the knots and starts.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Hi! I use Susan Bates size 10 needles and I use a pvc quilting frame which I love. I also use a oval quilting hoop that fits into a stand for when I'm quilting the borders or dont want to take up much room. I also have a 50 year old quilt frame that I like to use but it takes up too much space but I seem to quilt faster on it cause you don't have to move it so much. I hope this help. I hand quilt all my quilts. It's so relaxing and I don't worry about the quilting police coming to judge my work.Have fun and I hope this helped
Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Deecee
One tip I was given - Cut your thread twice as long as normal, take a stitch and pull it through to half its length. You then stitch out in one direction with that half and end off, then put your needle in the other half and stitch out in that direction and end off.

You are only working with the usual length of thread for each half but end up getting twice as far for half the knots and starts.
I do this also :D and it sure saves the time of cutting a new thread.

Here is an interesting link for a video showing how Jean Brown quilts using an Aunt Becky's Finger Protector. http://www.jeansimpressions.com/ . She makes it look so easy. I use an Aunt Becky's on my underneath hand. The needle glances off of it as it goes into the quilt and then sends the needle back up to the front of the quilt. It allows me to make nice small stitches without pricking my finger. Good luck on your first hand quilted quilt. As everyone said....just enjoy the process...you'll learn as you go along. :thumbup:
Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lfw045
I tried a hoop, hubby made me a pvc frame, I prefer to hand quilt without either. If you pin baste it well enough you can do this. I prefer it because I can sit anywhere and get comfy and quilt away.
I am with you all the way!!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:12 PM

I have used the pvc frame, an Ulmer wooden frame, and a hoop. I really like the hoop. Just make sure the hoop is a quilting hoop. When selecting a hoop, bend your arm at a 45 degree angle, place the hoop on your arm, if your fingers touch the edge of the hoop, it is the right size. I too use small needles and I use Roxanne needles.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Zoe

I love to hand quilt, returning to it often during certain periods of my life. Like everyone else here, these are my opinions and what seems to work for me. I, too, use a size 10 or 11 needle because it helps me create smaller stitches. I have used both a hoop (that I like because you can carry it around) and an antique floor frame that my husband found for me. I like using both. I also use hand quilting thread unless I cannot find the perfect color for my project. Then I wax hand sewing thread that coats the thread for the quilting stitches.

If I am starting to hand quilt after a long period of not quilting, I find I have to get into the rhythm of quilting. You do indeed have to practice and to just keep quilting. While my stitches are not the tiny ones, they are uniform in length and I am so proud that I've gotten to this point.

Good luck to you...and here's hoping that you find hand quilting as relaxing as I do. :lol:
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Deecee

I do this also :D and it sure saves the time of cutting a new thread.

Here is an interesting link for a video showing how Jean Brown quilts using an Aunt Becky's Finger Protector. http://www.jeansimpressions.com/ . She makes it look so easy. I use an Aunt Becky's on my underneath hand. The needle glances off of it as it goes into the quilt and then sends the needle back up to the front of the quilt. It allows me to make nice small stitches without pricking my finger. Good luck on your first hand quilted quilt. As everyone said....just enjoy the process...you'll learn as you go along. :thumbup:
thats a neat wwb site