Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis >

afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis

afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis

Old 09-24-2018, 12:33 PM

I'm going to follow up and take my own advice.

In fact, I'm going to issue an informal challenge to any of you who are serious about wanting to use your "too pretty" fabric.

Starting as you as you read this ...

1. Read what I posted above about "Pick 4".
2. Pick 4. Post a picture of the 4 and of the 1 you ranked highest. That will be the one you use. PIck a pattern within 24 hours, and start cutting before the 25th hour.
3. Let us know you're "In" and give us your deadline. We will post our progress as a group.
4. Let's call ourselves the "Too Pretties" . LOL

Okay, here I go to my stash to pick the first 4 that grab my attention! It's 4:31 PM EST on Monday. I will let you know by 4:31 PM Tuesday what my next project will be.

PS. It does not have to be a quilt. You might want to use big pretties for placemats or pillowcases. Just use it!! Give it new life where you will see it and be thankful you took this challenge!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I had to force myself to start cutting. Once I did this, it became much easier.
Ditto...had tons of "MY FAVORITES" sitting gathering dust for yrs...I finally made up my mind "enough use it"...so I've been cutting and using ever since...at first you hesitate taking that rotary cutter and making that first cut but once you do there's no turning back....so now I just "go for it"...and don't turn back...
Old 09-24-2018, 01:46 PM

You can do this! Get them off the shelf and use them! I suffered from the same thing until I went through my sewing room and found fabrics I had not laid eyes on in 10 years. They are beautiful, but remember that new fabric lines are always coming out and you will want to get those as well. I also worry that if something happens to me then my kids will give the fabric away and then I will really be upset at myself. Lol.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:01 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601605[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601606[/ATTACH]

Okay, here are my picks. The top picture shows my Pick 4. All were ones I've not been able to bring myself to cut--till now.

The second picture is the one I chose. I'm going to make pillowcases for Christmas for my DIL who loves the beach. (She's the one expecting the twins on Dec 1, and I think she'll need some relaxing thoughts to lay her head on when she's exhausted or just enjoying snuggling the babies.)

I'm imposing a deadline on myself of Oct 7.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5901.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	601605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5902.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	601606  
Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'm going to follow up and take my own advice.

In fact, I'm going to issue an informal challenge to any of you who are serious about wanting to use your "too pretty" fabric.

Starting as you as you read this ...

1. Read what I posted above about "Pick 4".
2. Pick 4. Post a picture of the 4 and of the 1 you ranked highest. That will be the one you use. PIck a pattern within 24 hours, and start cutting before the 25th hour.
3. Let us know you're "In" and give us your deadline. We will post our progress as a group.
4. Let's call ourselves the "Too Pretties" . LOL

Okay, here I go to my stash to pick the first 4 that grab my attention! It's 4:31 PM EST on Monday. I will let you know by 4:31 PM Tuesday what my next project will be.

PS. It does not have to be a quilt. You might want to use big pretties for placemats or pillowcases. Just use it!! Give it new life where you will see it and be thankful you took this challenge!
I LOVE this! I probably won't be able to participate until the weekend. It's the kick in the pants I need!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:59 PM

my problem is not reluctance to cut into the fabric, but rather less time to sew than I'd like--and way too easy to grab up some of those on-line fabric deals while I'm sitting at end of the day. I like Iceblossom's message to not wait to live--great advice.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

I doubt I have any too pretty to cut fabric. Think I have used it all. After I look at something very long it isn't as pretty as I thought when I bought it. I have been making donation quilts and used many yards of fabrics for borders, bindings and backings. To use on the scrappy quilts I have made. Finally done with those scraps now I am using kiddie prints and some fabrics I like together.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Perhaps you suffer from my fabric mania - I only sew as an excuse to buy fabric.

It's kind of like money, though. You can't take it (money or fabric) with you to the hereafter. So make sure you do good things with it while you can.
I inherited a large and most interesting stash when my sister-in-law passed away. My passion has been to honor her but using all of her stash. I thing this would fit well into the spirit of cathyvv's message. Of course, I have added to her stash but I have also made 70+ quilts after inheriting. Some quilts were for family and her grandchildren but many were made just to put lovely fabric to use. Just my calling to bless others with quilts and use the gift of fabric I have been given.

I often have to check my stash to see what I can use and break plastic cover on a layer care or open up jelly roll and get at it. Yes, it is difficult but the end result is another new pattern tried and another quilt gifted using the special fabric from my stash.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:46 AM

A lovely lady in our quilt group says that if you use your beautiful fabric you won't have it anymore.

It takes a quilter to understand that philosophy.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:32 AM

Love the fabric. Can you share where you got it, the name, etc.?

After spending 5 days cleaning out my "Craft/Sewing/Embroidery/Quilting Bedroom, I am ready to reduce my stash---BIG TIME!