Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wording for starting up a church quilt group >

wording for starting up a church quilt group

wording for starting up a church quilt group

Old 10-08-2018, 04:21 PM

Default wording for starting up a church quilt group

I'm going to see if there is any interest in starting up a quilt group in my church. Would anyone be willing to share or help me with wording for the bulletin? It will be a short blurb. I have some ideas (sharing your gifts, doing good for the community, fellowship with other quilters...) but am having trouble forming that into an enticing, cohesive paragraph. This would be an informal group that would work on their own projects as well as a group raffle quilt.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Do you need more time to quilt? If you have any interest in helping me to form a quilt group to work on your own projects or charity quilts please contact me at ........
Old 10-09-2018, 03:10 AM

I’ve heard this said: “Sewing experience is not required, if you can tie a knot, you can help tie a quilt!”
Old 10-09-2018, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I’ve heard this said: “Sewing experience is not required, if you can tie a knot, you can help tie a quilt!”
While this may be true, you have to decide if you are willing to spend time teaching others - especially if you intend to make a group quilt.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:04 AM

I really like Susan G's suggestion but I would add:
Quilting is a great way to share your time and talents, meet new friends in our church community and provide a fabric hug for those in need. (Then add
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
If you have any interest in helping me to form a quilt group to work on your own projects or charity quilts please contact me at ........
Old 10-09-2018, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by sarge1 View Post
I'm going to see if there is any interest in starting up a quilt group in my church. Would anyone be willing to share or help me with wording for the bulletin? It will be a short blurb. I have some ideas (sharing your gifts, doing good for the community, fellowship with other quilters...) but am having trouble forming that into an enticing, cohesive paragraph. This would be an informal group that would work on their own projects as well as a group raffle quilt.
Thanks in advance!
This is good for a laugh. Our pastor mentioned our quilt guild was a sweatshop for Jesus!
Old 10-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Another quilter friend and I started a group about one month ago. It was to tie comforters for a non-profit. It was not intimidating. " If you can tie a knot and want to enjoy an evening of fellowship, come Tuesday at 6:30 pm -8 pm to make comforters for the needy. No experience or supplies needed." But we talked it up with a few key ladies who then invited others.

Just like Junegerbrancht said..you will be investing a lot of time. It takes me a couple of hours preparing the backs, then pinning backs, batting and tops on the boards for tieing. Some days we have about 8 ladies and sometime 2 but in that month we have finished 3 comforters. Some of them want to learn to sew.. We have a bin full of denim squares and will start to teach them sewing the squares. Then we have to bind the comforters...

I am enjoying this group but am also finding that I am using some of my stash to supply backings and other projects, we have set up other work stations on Qsnap frames for long stitch quilting because sometimes there is not enough room around the tieing frame. Another question is...Who is supporting this group financially..Will they have to buy the supplies? The group that I lead would probably faint if they knew the cost of a yard of fabric. I will eventually let them know....but I want them hooked on quilting first .