Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand applique--any help appreciated! >

Hand applique--any help appreciated!

Hand applique--any help appreciated!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:31 AM

Default Hand applique--any help appreciated!

Hi. This is my first post here. Looks like a great forum! I would love to learn hand applique and know little or nothing about it--only that it's beautiful and I think it would be a relaxing pasttime.

I know there are many online "how to" videos on hand applique (and other quilting methods), but I have fibromyalgia and can't sit long at the computer, so I would prefer to learn from a book where I can park myself on the couch for a while!

What are some good, basic learn-to-hand-applique books for a beginner like me? Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks!

P.S. I also love landscape quilts and have to add that to my "hope to learn" list.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:46 AM

Hello,and welcome. I learned to hand appliqué watching a dvd. I used “Teach You to Appliqué the Piece O’ Cake Way” by Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins. I am sure there are other dvd’s besides these, so good luck and have fun.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:44 AM

Their books "The Best-Ever Applique Sampler" and "The New Applique Sampler" are also excellent books to learn their techniques.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

As you have no doubt discovered, there are many ways to hand appliqué. Traditionally, the shapes were cut with 1/8 extra seam allowance and the shape was pinned to the background fabric and you used the tip of your needle to turn under that seam allowance as you stitch. This is called needle turn appliqué.

Some people like to prepare their pieces by turning under the seam allowances on all their pieces using starch or freezer paper first before stitching. You will need to watch a few YouTube videos to find out what method you want to use.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:06 AM

Welcome to the board. You are right this is a great place to visit. I too, would like to learn applique but have a few other quilts to do first. Never be afraid to ask a question here, someone will have an answer.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Welcome! I hope you learn lots here. It is nearly impossible not to!!

Since you want to do hand-work, you may want to also look into English paper piecing. I'm currently working on hexagons, and it's Great work while being parked on a couch
Old 10-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:23 PM

Welcome to the board. Everyone here is so helpful and gives great advice. Hand applique is beautiful. Is there a quilt shop near you that would have some applique classes? Good luck on your search and I hope you find some help somewhere on your applique endeavors.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:07 AM

I find hand applique to be a restful activity when I'm watching tv - much like knitting can be - and needle turn applique is perfect to bring along while you're waiting at the doctor's office. Lots of youtube videos out there. You will find your own preferred method of how to hold your base, whether you prefer to glue or pin, what type of sewing needle you like to use, and whether you'll work from left to right or right to left. Just experiment - there is no wrong way to do it.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Jane Townswick's books are fantastic to learn hand applique. I recommend either "Artful Applique the Easy Way" or "Color-Blend Applique"

Her methods were fool-proof for me.

Last edited by magicmoonmusings; 10-13-2018 at 09:13 AM.