Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handi Quilter Feet put onto a Viking Platinum 16? >

Handi Quilter Feet put onto a Viking Platinum 16?

Handi Quilter Feet put onto a Viking Platinum 16?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:55 AM

Default Handi Quilter Feet put onto a Viking Platinum 16?

So I just got off the phone with Viking. I want to put a ruler foot on my Viking Platinum 16. She told me they would be coming out with a ruler foot.
Me: Great! When?
Rep: I don't know
Me: You don't have any kind of time frame? Like fall...next year...
Rep: No
Me: Ok...what about the foot conversion kit for Handi Quilter. It's basically the same machine (seriously, even the screw holes are the same...everywhere)
Rep: We don't recommend any other brand's products installed on our machines.
Me: And you don't know when your own is coming out.
Rep: No ma'am.

So....has anyone else out there tried this? Put Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen stuff onto their Viking Platinum 16? They even have a new Handi Quilter tensioner kit upgrade too which looks spiffy. If I had it to do all over again...I would have gone with the Handi Quilter. Now I'm just looking to see if anyone else has tried interchanging Handi Quilter stuff onto the Platinum...or heck...the Babylock Tiara.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 AM

I bet it would work but you don't want to spend the money to experiment. The newer Sweet 16s do not need the conversion foot thing, all the feet fit without it so yours probably doesn't need it either. Check locally for a Sweet 16 owner to borrow one of their feet to try?

Edit to add: I have the Sweet 16 but not the Sure Foot and use the regular foot for ruler work all the time. The Sure Foot is just a tad bit taller to give the ruler a better edge to guide the ruler but is not an absolute necessity.

Last edited by QuiltingVagabond; 10-11-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 AM

I have the same machine as you and I bought the Handi Quilter Sure foot set up and installed on my machine. Both these machines are basically the same. Had no trouble installing, nor do I have any issues using the feet. The Sure foot setup came with the ruler foot and an open toe foot.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:41 AM

I converted my HQ (it came out about 6 months before they changed)

HQ came out with a taller ruler foot, and I like that one a lot better than the older narrow one that came with the machine.

My favorite foot is the Glide foot, though they develop stress cracks after a while and may not longer stay tight and need to be replaced. I just bought two more so I'd always have one in stock. I've worn out two and stuck a needle through a third (totally my fault).

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-11-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:48 AM

BTW - if you don't want to spend the money on the conversion kit (provided you'd need it) but want a ruler foot, I've got the old style screw in one I took off my HQ. I've not had an open toe foot on my HQ machine - I think ever. I've got one but seems all the feet I do use are closed toe.

PM me if you are interested.

Also - what I have is the same height as one that comes with the conversion kit. The sure foot is the newer, taller one.

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-11-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Call HandiQuilter and ask them outright!

When I was buying my SS, they were very helpful in helping me sort out the differences between all the rebranded/painted versions of their original SS.

One thing to note is that the SS is now into the 3rd generation/evolution (maybe 4th?).
With yours being virtually a SS, it would be important to know which version it matches.
That will determine what options you have for it.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM

here are the three feet

the old style, the one that came with the conversion kit, and the newer Sure Foot. HQ may be putting the newer foot in the conversion kit - but I didn't see that. The open toe that comes with the kit is the same height as the older ruler foot.

I used that one for several years, and only had a bit of problems ending up on top of the ruler a time or two. With the new one, that has not happened and I don't have to be near as careful on how I am holding the ruler.
Attached Thumbnails 20181011_105333_resized.jpg  
Old 10-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Hi Macybaby! So, the bottom one is Identical to mine. Sheesh. The subterfuge of these companies pretending that they didn't just rebrand themselves. I did call Handi Quilter. They didn't recommend it either because it wasn't one of theirs. Seriously...it's simply identical. I just wanted to try out a ruler foot. I had no idea it would be this much trouble. So I have the old style one that you are mentioning. Basically I guess you could say that my machine is 1-2 versions in SS history. So if the latest and greatest is 4, I'm probably a 3 or a 2.
It does quilt beautifully though. It loves Aurifil. I can't seem to make it like Isacord though. But that's probably a whole other thread! (Ha...thread...sewing humor)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-12-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-12-2018, 03:57 AM

Interesting - because Isacord is the one thread I couldn't get my HQ Fusion to like. So far, it's the only thread I've ever experienced back lashing with. I tired all sorts of things, and finally had to settle on going quite slow and being very careful about changing directions. Sure was glad to get that quilt done!
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 AM

I read your conversation with machine manufacturer with interest. I had a similar experience with a dealer and after hanging up the phone, I felt compelled to look up the meaning of the word "twit" in the dictionary! It's been around since 1530 and in certain contexts means "silly, confusing". While listening to the excuses and explanations given by dealer, the word "twit!" kept going through my head.