Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hanging a quilt...advice >

Hanging a quilt...advice

Hanging a quilt...advice

Old 10-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Very good methods here.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:32 AM

Thanks Donnamarie for the idea of stapling the quilt to the wall, I assume you use a staple gun. How do you remove the staples when you want to take your quilt down, I change my quilts by season and holiday.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I cut a piece of lathe (which is ¼ " x 1 ½ " approx) to the width of the quilt. Find the centre and measure and drill holes, out 7 ½ " each way so that I always have 15" between the two nail holes. (then different wall hangings can be hung from the same two nails) Mark on the wall where you want the holes to be and hammer in two nails. I make a three part sleeve and hand sew it to the back of the quilt. Insert the lathe piece into the sleeve and slip the two holes onto the nails. It hangs very flat to the wall.
Love this method. I have put sticks into a bottom sleeve also. Makes the quilt hang beautifully.

But I have another idea for the top. I bought a set of five magnets (quite expensive) from a quilt show. I attached the magnets to the wall as per instructions. I put three on one wall and two on the other wall, about the distance apart as my smallest quilt might be that I would want to hang there. Then I put a piece of curtain rod into the top sleeve. These are the old curtain rods that will slide to make the piece longer or shorter. Have the flat side of the rod away from the quilt so that it will contact the magnets well. A king sized quilt would probably need all five magnets.

This way you can change your quilts whenever you wish. They don't need to be the same width, as you just adjust the rod to accommodate the length of the quilt top. Nothing sticks out on either end as the rod has been adjusted to be just a bit shorter than the width of the quilt. You can't see anything holding it up. It comes down with just a good tug and goes up quite easily.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Love this method. I have put sticks into a bottom sleeve also. Makes the quilt hang beautifully.

But I have another idea for the top. I bought a set of five magnets (quite expensive) from a quilt show. I attached the magnets to the wall as per instructions. I put three on one wall and two on the other wall, about the distance apart as my smallest quilt might be that I would want to hang there. Then I put a piece of curtain rod into the top sleeve. These are the old curtain rods that will slide to make the piece longer or shorter. Have the flat side of the rod away from the quilt so that it will contact the magnets well. A king sized quilt would probably need all five magnets.

This way you can change your quilts whenever you wish. They don't need to be the same width, as you just adjust the rod to accommodate the length of the quilt top. Nothing sticks out on either end as the rod has been adjusted to be just a bit shorter than the width of the quilt. You can't see anything holding it up. It comes down with just a good tug and goes up quite easily.
Love this idea! Just ordered my magnets from Amazon.