Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me pick the border and advice about quilting! >

Please help me pick the border and advice about quilting!

Please help me pick the border and advice about quilting!

Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 AM

Did you get a look at Bonnie Hunter's slide show of the some 70 quilts that were in the show and tell in Nebraska. The best one was an En Provence that had a 1 1/2 to 2 inch wide framing border, perhaps 4 inches from the body of the quilt. It was like framing it and presenting it. Looked finished and wonderful.

I would have a 7 inch outside border, then a 2 inch framing border and a 4 inch distance border next to the body of the quilt. I realize that the borders are going to make the quilt much larger, but that is what I would do. Maybe you don't have that much fabric left or don't need it that large. Up to you.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

I like the gray and white you used for the inside of the quilt. They make the nine-patch blocks "pop".

I do not like the gray print (on the right in the picture) for an outside border. IMO, it doe not match the "feel" of the rest of the top.

I don't have any suggestions for the border - if you want it bigger - and have enough fabrics - you could add more blocks until it is the size you want - and then just bind it.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:04 AM

I think there's enough gray. I would do burgundy and green, I see some lavender too! Hmmm
Old 10-19-2018, 04:32 AM

I can use this! Love how you have used 9 patch blocks but how did you do the triangle ones? I have found probably 60 9 patch blocks that my mother made many years ago and I'd like to put them together.

As to your project, I'd not use the solid gray in the border. It's rather stark. I do like the one with the design if you want to stick with gray. I might consider a skinny first border of the dark green that's in the one 9 patch to the left of your design wall. It's "neutral" enough for all the other colors in the quilt. Otherwise, I'd choose something of the "era" of the fabrics in the blocks. And the quilting? (Don't you love those patterns that say "quilt as desired" with no suggestions?) I'd probably outline the stars and then think on simply straight stitching diagonally across the 9 patches
Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 AM

I agree about the gray fabric. Doesn't "play well" with the others to my eyes. Gorgeous quilt!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:36 AM

This is beautiful. Binding is all that is needed. Framing borders will take away from the complicated nature of the pattern. If it needs to be bigger, add more of the nine patches using the same pattern you already have. Binding will frame it all you need or you can even turn the edge down so the pattern becomes the binding on the backside and nothing interferes with this gorgeous quilt!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:39 AM
DJ

Love it! You have some good advice about the borders.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 PM

This turned out awesome..... I love your idea for border number 2...using 2 1/2" multi-colored squares. With that border, I would do border #1 mini white, border #3 mini white...then a wide 4th border of your choosing from a color within quilt. I agree with you about the gray.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I can use this! Love how you have used 9 patch blocks but how did you do the triangle ones? I have found probably 60 9 patch blocks that my mother made many years ago and I'd like to put them together.

As to your project, I'd not use the solid gray in the border. It's rather stark. I do like the one with the design if you want to stick with gray. I might consider a skinny first border of the dark green that's in the one 9 patch to the left of your design wall. It's "neutral" enough for all the other colors in the quilt. Otherwise, I'd choose something of the "era" of the fabrics in the blocks. And the quilting? (Don't you love those patterns that say "quilt as desired" with no suggestions?) I'd probably outline the stars and then think on simply straight stitching diagonally across the 9 patches
How special that you are going to be able to make a quilt with your mother's blocks -- I think that is so cool! The triangle blocks are made with the Tri Rec ruler. I bought it for this quilt and it was easy to use. There are a number of videos which will show off the rulers and the other 20 thousand million things you can make with them. You might also want to look at the 9 patch swap thread on this site -- many members have posted what they did with their 9 patches. Good luck with the quilt!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Everyone = thanks so much for the advice. Each one I read I'm like " ooh, they are right. What a great idea!" And then I read the next comment and I think the same thing! But what I really took from many of the comments was to pull in another color. To be honest that hadn't really occurred to me. I'll have to play with my fabrics and see what "feels" right color wise. Thanks!