Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Advise-want to buy Longarm >

Please Advise-want to buy Longarm

Please Advise-want to buy Longarm

Old 10-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by lilli480 View Post
I also purchased the Simply 16 and after just 1.5 years I upgraded to the Amara. I am much happier with the size and features. My frame is 10’ in a room that is 10’6”. I am thrilled to have a longarm even if I don’t have the recommended space on all sides. It works for me! Good luck!
IMHO——The key to owning a longarm is to get what you want. As for recommended space..............I have a 12’ frame and I have about 3 feet to work on each side. One end of the frame is against the wall with a 3.5” clearance on the other end because of heating ducts. I have casters on my frame so I can move one end to angle the frame in my space so I can work on the back of the machine. It is not a huge home but I make it work!!!! I love having my own machine. (I rented before I purchased. I Quilted charity quilts to get a feel/control of the machine). If you are able to do that in your area .............it was a great plan for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3670A248-0606-4E9E-8C0C-05014CE2561B.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	602345   Click image for larger version

Name:	56662F7F-6541-4C79-B1E9-05213BB97E2C.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	602346  
Old 10-08-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
...a quilt loaded onto a longarm rack attracts cats to lounge on the "hammock" created, they love it more than catnip! Mine is in a back bedroom I keep closed off. One time I came out of the room to use the bathroom and didn't shut the door behind me. In less than a secnd one of my Maine Coon cats was in there and sprawled out on the quilt like he was king of the castle. LOL. ... Something about cats and a room they are not allowed into makes it that much more enticing to them. ...
I'm absolutely certain that my cats would love a big hammock like that. We have one guest room that we always keep closed so that a visitor won't have to sleep with cat hair. I think Lizzie the calico knows the sound of that particular door latch because although I can usually be vigilant and keep her from going in with me, as I come out, there she is waiting for the opportunity to dash around my feet and hide under the bed where I can't reach her. There's nothing in there that would attract her, but it's territory she wants to establish as her own. I could put a longarm in that room and give up the guest bed, but I don't think it would completely solve the cat problem.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Buy the largest throat space you can afford. Not only will a 16” throat size have to be rolled many more times than a larger throat space would, the designs you’re able to use will have to be very small. And as you reach the end of the quilt, you’ll find very little room left to quilt as the rolled finished quilt will take up a massaive amount of the throat space.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
When you try them out try different lengths it depends on how comfortable your reach is because I know people who have bought longarms too large for them and end up having to trade in. 20 is where I am most comfortable but I would get the biggest size you are most comfortable with
I agree with this. I have an 18-8 and a larger reach than that simply made my freehand stitching too difficult to control. Need my arms to be relaxed. I always work from the front of my machine though.