Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I know which iron to get now what about a woolen mat? >

I think I know which iron to get now what about a woolen mat?

I think I know which iron to get now what about a woolen mat?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 AM

I bought a small one to try and loved it so much I ordered a full sized ironing board one from Lisa Bonjean's Primitive Gatherings. Absolutely love it. And if you don't like the "smell" from the heat, there is a solution you can make up to spray on the pad.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:32 AM

I bought one from Quilt in a Day when it was on sale. It is 14" x 24." I absolutely love it. I wish I could afford one to cover my whole bigboard ironing surface. It really makes a noticeable difference in making blocks flatter.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Island Queen View Post
https://ecorugpads.com/
here is the website I was referring above
I ordered a custom cut wool pad from a similar source but it turned out not to be 100% wool and it did not work well as a pressing pad. I ended up ordering a pressing wool pad from Amazon to make sure I got the right kind. I am happy with it.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM

I got mine from Quilt in a Day and I love it.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

The Featherweight shop is offering one on sale today. I'm thinking of getting it.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

The mats have been 50% and 40% off at most online shops in the last few weeks. Check Quilt in a Day and Craftsy. Those to places are where I buy most of my quilting notions/accessories. I found some thick felted wool carpet pads at the carpet installers. He said I could have the scrap pieces as they were no use to him. Many were corners cut off for round rugs and plenty big for pressing. Of course I just bought new flooring from him. LOL The price per foot he was selling the !00% wool pads were about the same as the ones sold for quilting. So not much savings. I did buy online a large carpet pad one to fit my ironing board. It was much cheaper. I have the one sold for quilt pressing so I can compare the different ones. They all work the same to me. I think they are great for pressing quilt blocks. Make sure it is 100% wool. No blends.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-04-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Onebyone, I didn't see them on Craftsy's website. Maybe they sold out?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM

My 17x24 (x 1/2 inch) 100% gray wool mat is from Wooly Felted Wonders. I use it with a clapper and wouldn't part with either for any reason. Piecing looks so crisp and a finished quilt looks so awesome. I purchased mine at a quilt shop but they can be found online at woolyfeltedwonders.com. Very much worth the money. I wouldn't advise a smaller size.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 AM

There was a huge discussion (5 pages) on this forum last year regarding wool mats. I am attaching a link below. I bought a 2 ft by 6 ft one from Ecorugpads.com and have been delighted with it. I bought the "natures cushion" as it is the only one offered that is pure 100% wool. It does not smell. I cut mine into a few 18 x 12 sections using my 60mm rotary cutter leaving a large piece that fits on my extra large ironing board when I iron a finished quilt top. My final cost at ecorugpads.com was about $38.00 for a 2x6 ft section.
If you do a search of this forum, there are quite a few discussions on wool mats.
here is the link to the discussion that convinced me.....

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Last edited by Murphy224; 12-05-2018 at 02:19 AM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 12-05-2018, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Digitabulist View Post
I bought a small one to try and loved it so much I ordered a full sized ironing board one from Lisa Bonjean's Primitive Gatherings. Absolutely love it. And if you don't like the "smell" from the heat, there is a solution you can make up to spray on the pad.
I bought one from Craftsy on sale and really like it, but can you tell us what the solution is to get rid of the "smell"?