Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
“It’s not real quilting” >

“It’s not real quilting”

“It’s not real quilting”

Old 12-09-2018, 03:17 AM

The sewing machine was invented in 1846. It is highly likely that pioneer women even took them out on the journey west with them. They certainly used every "modern" convenience they could to get housework done because they sure had a lot of it to do. Tell your BIL to bring his own blanket!
Old 12-09-2018, 04:42 AM

Some people are ignorant. Maybe he is jealous. Either way, ignore him. You know the time invested into quilting and the quality of work you turn out. I love this thread by the way!
Old 12-09-2018, 05:39 AM

Are you kidding me? This guy needs more than a punch in the throat. He also needs a kick in the kneecap. I'm with Nan, just don't have witnesses!!
My great-grandmother and her quilting group (this would have been in the 1930's) made beautiful quilts. The tops were sewn by machine (they are falling apart, so that's how I know). The group handquilted because they all lived in the country (16 miles from anywhere in any direction) and it was a social time. Today many of us live in/near civilization and have multiple things to do.
In my opinion, I'd find some other place to be when this opinionated jerk visits. Maybe he hand cranks his car to start it?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
... Never has it been specified how they are attached. One could staple them together and it would be a quilt. ...
Wow, another great way to get the quilting done quickly. LOL I think I'll try this and see what the hoity toity artsy members if my guild think about it

eta: as I reread this, I'm reminded that I was voted class rebel of my senior class in high school!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
When people say that to me I ask they if they wash clothes by hand or cook over and open fire. When they say no I say "So you actually cannot cook/wash laundry? It's not real if not done by hand."
That's brilliant!

I work in a quilt shop, and just yesterday a quilter came in with her brother and her brother insisted that because we use sewing machines, we're "cheating." Since I was at work, I was not at liberty to share my thoughts with him, as they were not necessarily suitable for work. But I love this comeback! I wanted to tell the man in the store that until he knows something - anything - about what a quilter does, he doesn't get get a say in what's "cheating."
Old 12-09-2018, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Just tell him to get in his horseless carriage and go home.
Your last line says: "Nobody ever went wrong with kindness." I don't understand why everyone has their underwear in a knot just because of some stupid remark. Get over it. You can try to educate him, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just try to be kind. Change the subject.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes people like that just need a bit of education. I have found that with those kinds, money talks. You might want to mention that the American Quilting Society (AQS) wholeheartedly disagrees and that the BOS purse (which is a purchase prize, they keep the quilt to put in the museum) for Paducah is $20K, Houston is $12K, and many, many machine made quilts have won that purse at both of these shows in direct competition with hand quilted quilts (which may or may not be hand pieced). I bet that figure will cause his eyes to pop out of his head and might even get him to rethink his opinion. Here is a link you can provide him with the cash prizes awarded at AQS shows: http://www.quiltweek.com/wp-content/...ash-Awards.pdf
Old 12-09-2018, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

The comments are becoming too harsh and too negative, so I am closing the thread.