Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting precision and accuracy >

cutting precision and accuracy

cutting precision and accuracy

Old 12-31-2018, 02:10 AM

While I have access to a Accuquilt, I prefer to cut my own. My cutting has improved considerably over the years and I am able to always find a use for any misscuts. Nothing is wasted.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:02 AM

Default Try Quilters Select Rulers

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
I believe so but you need rulers like Creative Grids. They have clear markings and have non slip on the bottom of the ruler. You also need to pay attention and make sure you're cutting on the right line. However, that being said, I have an Accuquilt and a Cricut Maker, but I have them because I have a problem with my wrist and long periods of cutting result in pain.
Try Quilters Select rulers! While I have and have used Creative Grids tools, they do slip. However, the Quilters Select absolutely DO NOT SLIP at all!! Check your LQS or shop on line at Alex Anderson's THE QUILT SHOW for these.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:08 AM

Would it help to put dots of rubber cement on the back side? Seems like it would keep your ruler from slipping.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 AM

Yes, and you can do larger pieces. One of most waste of fabric was on my Accuquilt. I was cutting 5 in squares, I thought this will be so fast, much faster than cutting by hand. It was but the problem was when some of them were 5 in and others weren't. You have to watch the way the grain goes because if its on there wrong, it'll stretch the fabric when cutting. That was one of the first lessons my daughter learned on it as well. I still love my Accuquilt, especially when doing rag quilts but you still have to be careful or you won't get perfect cuts
Old 12-31-2018, 09:12 AM

I have never used a cutting machine of any kind, but I have seen and sewn fabric that was cut on them. The problem was mostly with the grain being off, which was probably operator error.

This discussion reminds me of my mother's church quilting group 20 years ago. The ladies who couldn't or didn't want to sew did the cutting (not with a machine). Others did the piecing. There was a lady in the group who was in her upper 90's. She got so frustrated with the pieces she was expected to sew that she finally said, "I will cut my own." I am in her camp!
Old 12-31-2018, 09:17 AM

I agree about starching. I've always had trouble with strips sets bowing on me. I'm working on a quilt now that started with strip sets. I starched the fabric heavily, was careful with my cutting, sewed starting at opposite ends being careful not to pull the fabric and, lastly, (I think this was the culprit) pressed very carefully using just the up and down movement. All my strip sets were straight! No bowing!
Old 12-31-2018, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Would it help to put dots of rubber cement on the back side? Seems like it would keep your ruler from slipping.
I think you could...as earlier stated Nexcare first aid tape also helps, is opaque, and not as thick as rubber cement could be.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

one cannot be more exact/precise/accurate than one's materials and tools allow one to be.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:55 PM
e4

I love my Accuquilt (Studio II). I also occasionally cut by hand, but cutting using die cuts is so much faster. I line up the grain most of the time and have no trouble sewing things. I get great accurate cuts with the die cutter and usually get accurate cuts with rotary cutting as well using a variety of brands of rulers. The advantage of die cutting to me is faster cutting so I can piece more. Biggest downside is the fixed size of the die cuts. Usually I adjust blocks to fit the size dies I have, if possible. If not, I hand cut.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 AM

Hi all, I tend to lurk on this board, awed by all the projects everyone is doing. As a relative beginner I have big problems cutting accurately. I don't have a lot of space so have to fold fabric then get a wiggle as I cut over bumps. Thought I'd share this YouTube link called Power cutting as it was really helpful to me, and others might find it useful too.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKOv3Azzw