Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuracy and Precision >

Accuracy and Precision

Accuracy and Precision

Old 10-31-2019, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Default Accuracy and Precision

They are not exactly the same, but frequently used together.

https://www.thoughtco.com/difference...ecision-609328

Anyway, there have been many posts about the 1/4 inch seam.

In my opinion, which I value highly for my own projects , how something turns out starts long before the sewing together of pieces.

Fabric preparation - start out with decent/suitable fabric -

In my case, I soak, wash, dry, and iron it before cutting it. I am not a fan of starching/sizing - but will use it occasionally.

Cutting - are my rulers accurate? Most are, but occasionally one is "off". Do you always use the same placement of your ruler when you cut? Are the edges still straight? I've worn down a few so that the edge was curved instead of still straight. It wasn't a deep bow, but still - it was bowed. From the way I cut, my pieces are usually a thread or two larger than the "stated measurement" - example: my 2.5 inch strips might be 2.54 so I do not need to use a "scant" 1/4 inch seam. Measure the cut pieces to check to see what you are actually working with.

I am thinking that if one uses the slotted rulers or die-cut pieces, the measurements might be a bit scanter.

After that, it is worth the effort to do the three strip test to make sure that you will end up with the expected result.

Keeping the seam allowance the same width (consistent) for the whole length of the seam is a good thing. Keeping the seam allowance the same width (consistent) for the whole project is also a good thing.

Especially if it is the "right" seam width.

For something with all the pieces the same size and shape, it usually does not matter if the seam width is 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 - as long as the seam allowance is consistent.

But as the pieces get smaller and the shapes vary, the seam allowance does matter - if one wants to get the desired results.

Absolutely no new information in this post - I sometimes need to remind myself of it, though!

PS - as far as that 1/4 inch seam - I have learned to do a test run for placement with lined index cards or graph paper. Especially when I am using a different machine.

Last edited by bearisgray; 10-31-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:16 AM

You are so right bear! I've been a fan(atic) of Bonnie Hunter for a while now. I have to say that making her mystery quilts and using her tips and techniques have definitely made me a more accurate piecer!
And she launched the new mystery colors and yardages today... here I go again!
Old 10-31-2019, 07:11 AM
Administrator

I know far too many quilters who will look at a mistake and actually say, "I don't care."
Or "finished is better than perfect" (which too often translates to "I don't care.")

makes me crazy!

why on earth would you spend all the time and money a quilt costs and not care whether it's excellent or just hot slop?

humans are confusing. lol?
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I choose my I don't care list. A cut off point, I care. A turned seam, I don't care. A wavy border, I care. I think once I learned to sew a 1/4" seam with no guide needed my piecing became as perfect as I can expect. I use the Go for most of my cuttings so accuracy is usually spot on. I starch my fabric for ruler cutting stiff as paper. I prefer Terial spray for the stiffness.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:37 AM

Your skills are what I call foundation skills. You need to start out with good habits to get good results. I'm am with you on checking and rechecking techniques. I use the same 1/4 inch foot for piecing and try my best to always hit that target. I never stitch scant seams. Never.

Fabrics are always starched and pressed before attempting any cutting.

I also match the direction of strips for binding. Meaning the left edge of selvage goes on the next strip at the left edge. Seams all go in the same 45 degree angle across the pieced strips. This morning I pieced binding fabric with fish and octopus. The little critters are all upright for now. They will be upside down at some point when stitched on the quilt.

These strips will make a flange binding and the corners will be on a 45 degree angle as best as possible.

I also square up units to make a block as needed. A unit that is a little skewed can become a big skew at the end of the line.

Small details do count. I'm starting to hear compliments on my projects from others so something is working in my quilting world.

Happy Stitching!
Old 10-31-2019, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
I know far too many quilters who will look at a mistake and actually say, "I don't care."
Or "finished is better than perfect" (which too often translates to "I don't care.")

makes me crazy!

why on earth would you spend all the time and money a quilt costs and not care whether it's excellent or just hot slop?

humans are confusing. lol?
I still say done is better than perfect. And I do care - fabric and my time are both expensive. But far better the quilt gets made and used rather than rolled up in a flannel sheet because I don't like how it's turning out.....
There are mistakes in all my quilts but only if you go over them carefully looking for the darn things!
Old 10-31-2019, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I still say done is better than perfect. And I do care - fabric and my time are both expensive. But far better the quilt gets made and used rather than rolled up in a flannel sheet because I don't like how it's turning out.....
There are mistakes in all my quilts but only if you go over them carefully looking for the darn things!
Just saying that seam allowance width is only one of several factors in getting an item to end up being "the expected size".
Old 10-31-2019, 11:17 AM

I also was not a fan of "done is better than perfect" until I realized that for me, it is the choice between making a decision that is good enough so I can get on with completing a project, or agonizing over a zillion choices to make sure I have the absolute "perfect" solution. So for me, that saying has nothing to do with accuracy or precision, but with not getting into the "analysis paralysis" that is so easy. This has made it so much easier for me to choose a border or a quilt design. I find something that looks good and I like, and I stop looking to see if there is something else out there I might like better.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:57 PM

As a new quilter, this thread makes me feel inadequate. I've espoused the "done is better than perfect" because perfection is unobtainable for me, and every stitch I make helps with the learning curve. I'm not the kind of person who can practice, practice, practice on a piece of fabric that doesn't matter. I need to have an actual project to complete. I figure that as long as I see improvements in the quilts that I'm making, at each stage of the process, I have to be happy with that. Otherwise I might just as well put my sewing machine away and give up.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tish05 View Post
As a new quilter, this thread makes me feel inadequate. I've espoused the "done is better than perfect" because perfection is unobtainable for me, and every stitch I make helps with the learning curve. I'm not the kind of person who can practice, practice, practice on a piece of fabric that doesn't matter. I need to have an actual project to complete. I figure that as long as I see improvements in the quilts that I'm making, at each stage of the process, I have to be happy with that. Otherwise I might just as well put my sewing machine away and give up.
Again, my point is that there are more factors to consider than just seam allowance width.