Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Block Identifier >

Quilt Block Identifier

Quilt Block Identifier

Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

That is striking. The colors are grand. You will have a wonderful quilt when you get it all done.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

there is no rule that borders must be the same or even number of blocks, etc. you could put the three near the bottom on one side and the top on the other. fill in with fabric. will look great no matter what. Feathered star and hst's to make star blocks. nice colors!!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:30 AM

Wow, what a find! I'd make it "stretch" somehow. Are there enough pieces that you can make 4 more blocks and use solids on each corner? Maybe put sashing between the blocks? You didn't find scraps in the scrap/fabric bin at the same shop, did you? There's the thing nowadays that borders don't have to be symmetrical. Move them over one space and fill in with another solid. Trouble is we all know that white is not always the same but perhaps you can find a similar color/print that would blend in nicely. Let us see what you decide. That is beautiful and carefully constructed by someone.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:42 AM

Nice find! If, indeed, you are short of fabric to make a full border of the stars, you could nest them around diagonal opposite corners and use other coordinating fabric to finish the border. There are lots of options if you use a coordinating fabric with the stars in the border. I think there are several options for a great finish (and save). Please remember to show us again when you finish.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 AM

Why on earth would someone give an almost completed quilt top away?? It must have been your lucky day to find it and finally give it a home where it can be loved. I'd love to find something like this!!
Old 01-08-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
The center feathered star looks like a pattern called Vintage Moments by Marsha McCluskey. But the smaller stars are a Lemoyne star block. It is pretty, what ever the pattern is.
They're all part of that same pattern, lemoyne stars and all. If you click the link that Dunster provided, you can see the beautiful quilt in its entirety. You can also purchase the pattern.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-08-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:44 AM

Maybe the reason it was tossed into her scrap bag was because she changed the pattern and there wasn't enough to finish the change in her design. Personally, I would buy the pattern, now on sale, undo the star blocks, remove the tan border (although I do like the color), take your purchased pattern, make the "on point triangles" out of solid burgundy and green (match your colors in your star blocks) and don't do the partial fan border. Keep the border simple outside of your on point blocks. The original quilter has the correct number of star blocks to complete the on point quilt pattern. She created a conundrum when she added the tan border and did not piece on point with the star blocks. I see those as the two "fixes". Remove the tan border, remove the top and bottom blocks, undo the two sets of three star blocks, add the on point triangles, and put a plain border around the outside. The quilter did a great job of matching points, so don't understand why she strayed away from the On Point design. Really like this pattern. Best wishes in finishing this lovely quilt.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 AM

Looks to me like you have enough to make 5 stars squares, that would complete the borders nicely, it's a great find, envious!