Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bonnie Hunter Mystery-Good Fortune >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery-Good Fortune

Bonnie Hunter Mystery-Good Fortune

Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Jenn, my first BH MQ was Grand Illusion and I had the same reaction you did. It was SO busy and all the scraps made it even more so. I finished it and gave it as a gift to someone who would appreciate it but wasn't sure I would do another. However, I love the excitement of the clues each week and wondering what the final reveal will look like so I've made one each year since. I just control the fabrics more. Some years I've used one background fab and a single fabric for another color; some years I've used yardage for all the colors. I've been much happier with the end result. Now that you've done one, you know what works for you and what you don't like, so you may want to give it one more chance.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 PM

Whoa! That is a sharp quilt. The shapes and colors kind of sparkle.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 AM

Love your quilt! Bonnie’s mystery’s are a challenge with all the colors and small pieces. Grand Illusion was my first Bonnie mystery after that one I am surprised I tried again. That one is quite busy with all the spinning. But I love the support of the boards and the anticipation.
I have made 5 of Bonnie’s and look forward to them each year! I have leaned so much about quilting with each one.

I have found I like making the mystery with less color verity, usually some solids thrown in. This year I omitted the strings and was quite pleased with the turnout. I loved Battle Axe’s border with the chain look and changed mine.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:59 AM

Remember the stories back in the cold war days of little Johnny who would not do things the same way he was told?? Well, that's me. I too hesitated at the beginning, but then Quilted Twins came out with a bundle of fabrics that had been picked out just for this. My style is not scrappy so if I do it again next year I will take your advice and eliminate all the strings and the tiny pieces, use some yardage---Lord knows my stash is full of it--- and try to sew up what I've got. I'm one of the ones that did the chevrons the wrong direction.

I saw that ribbon border on facebook, and just kept turning my blocks until I got it. (Hint: it has to be sewed in pairs.)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 AM

Lovely! Mine is still in progress
Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 PM

Love how the quilt turned out and the extra top and bottom extensions! I haven't yet done one of the mystery quilts while it is going on as I need to see it before proceeding. Bravo to you for sticking it out and finishing-very pretty finish!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:13 PM

I save all the clues and then when the quilt is revealed I decide if I am going to make it and in which colors. I do it this way because I am uncomfortable with investing so much time in something when I'm not sure the colors will work.It also gives me time to change the size of the quilt and/or the blocks so it is easier to make. I enjoy watching the progress of the quilt.