Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever give up on a project? >

Do you ever give up on a project?

Do you ever give up on a project?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 PM

Give yourself permission to let it go and move on. You certainly have my permission and admiration.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:44 PM

It looks beautiful but if you don't want to finish it give it away to someone who will. I have finished a lot of projects for people over the years. Just did one last week. A real pain but it is done. Once I took a red and white 1/3 done that was a mess, couldn't make the blocks right so I left the seams as they were. Finished it, quilted it, another person put the binding on. We gave it back to the lady and you would have thought she won the lottery. She didn't live long after but every week she told me she loved that quilt, never saw the mistakes. So don't toss it, give it away.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:44 AM

Default Does anyone really read these posts?

Elise1 says in the initial post: " I can't even get the next piece sewn on because things are so out of line."
So, it's not attractive and it cannot be finished in it's present form - now or later. Can we quit telling her to keep it, finish it, hang it up, etc.?

Elise1 said, "I put it away for over a year and a half and have just now pulled it out to finish it,"
So, she had already done that. So can we quit telling her to put it away and try again later?

Elise1 said
, "can I use the rest of the fabric in another quilt ...?"
So, can we just quit asking to finish her quilt for her? She wants to use the fabric elsewhere.

In conclusion, Elsie1 says:"Can I have permission to stop on this quilt? It is no longer fun."

I say/said, Yes. I've done it and it was liberating.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 02-01-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 AM

After five years of a 'Storm at Sea' sitting in a bag in pieces, have I given up? I'm still not sure!
Old 02-01-2019, 03:36 PM

First of all, congratulations on finishing your UFOs (all but one)!! That is a great achievement.

It sounds like you have made an honest effort on this one and then some. Yes, it is okay to stop working on this quilt and to use the remaining fabrics for something else. One of my Dad's rules for poker that he taught me was, 'don't throw good money after bad.' The same could be said for time and energy. Your time and energy are precious, you don't have to keep giving them to a project you feel was a mistake from the get go. Let it go and move on to something you find pleasure in. And think of all the projects you did complete!
Old 02-05-2019, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I put one that I hated on the “Free to take” table at Quilt Guild. Someone finished it, showed it at “Show & Tell” and we both were happy !
This is a good idea. I have some things that really need to move on.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM

Can I have permission to stop on this quilt? It is no longer fun.

If its no longer fun, I say ," forget it!" I know its hard, but , if like me , you got into quilting to relax, its just not worth it if you aren't relaxed with it. JMHO!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
I love to adopt these projects or orphan blocks. I take them and either attempt to finish them or create a whole new project.
Yes, so do I. I have just finished several using such things that have been gifted to me.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
How about cutting around the parts that you have finished, add some other 'blocks' or borders, and call it a table topper or wall hanging. you should be proud of what you have done so far.
Funnily enough, that’s exactly what I was thinking QuiltnNan.