Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever give up on a project? >

Do you ever give up on a project?

Do you ever give up on a project?

Old 01-16-2019, 04:44 AM

Angry Do you ever give up on a project?

I have been working hard to complete all my UFO's and I am down to my last one. It is a Jacqueline de Jonge pattern with a difficulty level of 6.

I made a mistake purchasing this pattern it is much to hard for me and has been nothing but frustrating. It may not look too bad in the photo, but there are many troublesome areas. I can't even get the next piece sewn on because things are so out of line. Not to mention folds in the material from the circle piecing and areas that will never lay flat.

I put it away for over a year and a half and have just now pulled it out to finish it, but I am again completely frustrated by it because I lack the skills to complete it.

Can I have permission to stop on this quilt? It is no longer fun. Quilting is suppose to be fun and relaxing and a way to unwind. If I am getting no enjoyment from this project, can I use the rest of the fabric in another quilt and just stop with the frustration?

This is the first time I have ever considered not finishing a project.

Elise
Attached Thumbnails 024.jpg  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

It looks beautiful from here but no way will I finish something that is completely frustrating.And yes, I've abandoned some. Life is too short. Now go make yourself happy with something else.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:51 AM

I put one that I hated on the “Free to take” table at Quilt Guild. Someone finished it, showed it at “Show & Tell” and we both were happy !
Old 01-16-2019, 05:07 AM

Give yourself credit for getting as far as you did and trying something new, and then give yourself permission to let it go and move on to something that makes you happy. I think what you did accomplish is beautiful and more that I would have even attempted.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:10 AM

Quilting is my hobby. I do it for the pure enjoyment I finished all but one and I hated it so I trashed it. That was 2 years ago and I am glad it is no longer in my sewing room. Give yourself permission to either get rid of it or try again in a few years! That quilt looks really hard to do!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:24 AM

Ditto to all above..who hasn't thrown pieces in a pile of frustration and then given up...
Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

How about cutting around the parts that you have finished, add some other 'blocks' or borders, and call it a table topper or wall hanging. you should be proud of what you have done so far.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 AM

If you belong to a quilt club, ask for help. Make it into a table topper, as was suggested. The colors are beautiful.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-16-2019 at 10:07 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-16-2019, 06:15 AM

Gracious! My hat is off to you for even attempting that quilt! I say pass it on...even if it's through a thrift store. In fact, maybe someone else on this board might like to tackle it? (I really, really hate to trash anything that can be used by someone else....)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 AM

It is beautiful. Give yourself a big hug and permission to stop the project as you wish. If you think you might want to continue the techniques in the future, keep it and the coordinating fabrics. If it causes you stress to keep, then pass it along.

Best wishes with your decision.