Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever give up on a project? >

Do you ever give up on a project?

Do you ever give up on a project?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 AM

Yes, says she who has a UFO JdJ kit below the bed in her sewing room. I put it in all in a zippered bag and slid it under the bed. Really frustrating. One day, I may go back to it or I may cut it up. It's in my batiks in my favorite colors. Once it's too frustrating, it's not fun. Let it go or wait. It's entirely your hobby and up to you.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:38 AM

What you've done looks stunning! Have I tossed stuff out? Absolutely! I tossed something out the other day, and I've been quilting for over 10 years ... just didn't like what it was turning out to be, and instead of even thinking of donating it I just walked it over to the garbage can and dropped it in! It was very refreshing!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

It looks beautiful to me, but don't torture yourself if you aren't enjoying it. Take it and the pattern and pass it on to another quilter (maybe through this board or at a local guild meeting). Someone will love to finish it.

Permission! Yes... Only last night did I have an epiphany about 'permission' to discard a project. I had started a quilt of brightly colored spools on a black background, waaaaaaaay back when I was just beginning to get interested in quilting. I chose a very dense cotton, a too-thick batting, and the pieces had a lot of seams... and started hand quilting it. Impossible! I kept it for close to 30 years, still with parts of it pinned, and never could discard it tho I hated trying to hand quilt through all that resistant stuff. I didn't even like the look of it anymore... it was so primitive. So instead of tossing it, I folded it in quarters and made a cat bed out of it, pins and all-- in case I ever wanted to finish quilting it one day. ( ) Well, last night my cat gave me permission to toss it. I had noticed she wasn't sleeping on it anymore, and on closer inspection learned she was using it as a second litter box. Into the trash it promptly went! I feel free!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I have tossed easier things than that. Quilting should be fun. Don't make yourself miserable fiddling with that when you can move on to another much more enjoyable project.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I have gotten many started projects out of my sight. I never thought I should keep them. Why? Some I gave away and some I trashed. The colors of your quilt are beautiful problems and all.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 AM

I once heard a sewing related speaker say you don't need to finish everything that you start. I've tried to use that and not waste my time and energy on projects I don't like. I give you permission to toss this one and start on something you enjoy working on.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

If it is no fun stop it and repurpose the fabric.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
How about cutting around the parts that you have finished, add some other 'blocks' or borders, and call it a table topper or wall hanging. you should be proud of what you have done so far.
Yes, this came to my mind also.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:13 AM

I have started projects that languish in containers. Found a couple I forgot I even had. I have one that I only finished 3 rows so could quilt it but it angers me when I look at it (a long story) that don’t think I will. We are downsizing and I’m just getting rid of them.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 AM

You've learned you don't want to finish this quilt (it is lovely though). That's enough of a struggle.

So along with the others I say move on to happier stuff. Life is hard enough as it is without us making it harder by forcing us to do what we don't want to do for our hobby!

In my unfinished tops I have what I call the "Jerry Springer Wedding Quilt" short form of the long story is one of my hubby's nieces was getting married and he asked if I'd make a quilt. I don't know the couple or what they like but I agreed to make something I would be happy to make and maybe they would like... anyway, I got the top done but the bride-to-be called off the wedding, said her sister had slept with her fiance. Sister says fiance was only dating bride-to-be to get back at her. Anyway, terrible ugly daytime tv reality drama. I feel the top is cursed. My priority to finish it is pretty much at the bottom of the already long list and I've been debating on what to do.