Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever give up on a project? >

Do you ever give up on a project?

Do you ever give up on a project?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

from what i can see from the photo, it does look good.

however -

you have "my permission" to do whatever you want to do - or not do- with it.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Surrender!
Congratulate yourself on what you have done. Your work looks amazing but that does not mean, you need to complete this quilt. Either save your work by converting it into another project or find someone that is willing to complete it.
Rescue this project (or find a rescuer) and then move on to other projects that will give you joy.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM

You can send it to me and I'll finish it!

I was going to suggest putting it in a closet for a year and then trying again; this has worked for me and it's amazing how much better you get over time, even without taking any classes. But I see that you've tried this already, and it's still frustrating you, so it's time to move on. The next time you take it out to work on it, you will not have good feelings about it.

I would like to say that you've done a wonderful job on the part you did get done; it looks beautiful, lays flat, your points are perfect! Good job! Now go do something you actually enjoy!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:39 PM

Yes. Stop. Quilting is supposed to be fun.

You're a much better quilter than me...I wouldn't even have attempted this.

What you have done is beautiful. So quilt and bind it and use it for a wall hanging or a table topper.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:45 PM

That is a beautiful start. Sorry you feel so frustrated that you don't want to finish. It isn't fun to sew on something that you don't enjoy anymore. Maybe you could give it to a local quilt guild and it would be a treasure to finish for someone.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Oh my gosh, yes. Quilting is supposed to be fun. I have many things I’ve put aside. Life’s too short to be frustrated like that.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Oh oh....I just got the same kit. My first JdJ.
It's so pretty.
Your work looks very good.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 PM

So instead of tossing it, I folded it in quarters and made a cat bed out of it, pins and all-- in case I ever wanted to finish quilting it one day. ( ) Well, last night my cat gave me permission to toss it. I had noticed she wasn't sleeping on it anymore, and on closer inspection learned she was using it as a second litter box. [/QUOTE]

Ha, ha, even Miss Kitty disliked it! Methinks she got stuck with a pin in the wazoodle one too many times.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I think it is beautiful. I also would never consider making a quilt like that. I know my limitations.

I have never tossed anything. I just keep sewing and by the time it is finished I find I really do like it.

It's yours do whatever you want with it.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:00 PM

I'm with several of the others. Throw it in the trash and move on.

I was working on a simple quilt before Christmas. The pattern was easy, and was using mostly scraps....until I needed some more solids to balance it out. So, I went to the store. It was still not right, so I went back for more solids. It was still ugly.

Then, I thought about what I would spend on batting and backing and how much time it would take to finish it. It was trash day, so I just tossed it.

It was liberating.

bkay