Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There's Got to be an easier way! >

There's Got to be an easier way!

There's Got to be an easier way!

Old 02-09-2019, 06:50 AM

I have a small house and not much space either of wall or floor or furniture for that matter. I do a lot of layout on top of our queen bed, it may be hard on the back but it's easier than the floor! Currently I use an old cutting mat that I slide under the part of the quilt I need to pin. Then as I go along I just move the cutting board. It seems to work well for me. On a large quilt like the one in the picture I only work for 30 minutes or so and then stand up to rest my back and attend to another chore and then come back later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 January 23 Kate's Queen Size Star Wars Quilt Made By Lauri resized.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	503.4 KB
ID:	608194  
Old 02-09-2019, 06:50 AM

I wouldn't be quilting if I couldn't spray baste. It's so much quicker, easier on the back, and I don't have a problem with puckers on the back.
As sensitive as I am to odors, surprisingly, the 505 spray doesn't bother me. There is a slight smell, but you use such a small amount, it isn't an issue.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
Last year I ran across this (kinda funny) video and have had great success pin basting large quilts on my kitchen table this way. https://youtu.be/jnke_KzeTI8
That's brilliant! It will really make things easier for me. Thanks for posting it.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 AM

We have had similar discussions before. I found success using pool noodles stabilized with pieces of pvc. Here is a link to one of the discussions.
Basting with pool noodles..
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 AM

This sounds like an excellent plan quilterpurpledog! I may have to try it. I'm going to check into the Elmer's school glue method on YouTube also. BTW all the ideas here are great ideas. Thanks for sharing with us.

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I use a 30 X 72 table and clamps. I use the clamps to hold the first section of the backing; smooth on the batting and lay on the top. I pin or glue (Elmer's) that first section. If I use the glue method I let it dry completely. Then, I move that section off the table and used the clamps to fasten a new section to the table with the clamps and repeat the process. I have good success using this method and I can walk when I'm finished. I could not do the hands and knees thing! You might also look up Sharon Schambler's video on using boards that are 1 X 4's. I like that method also.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MikOtzRqgNY

This way with the pool noodles won't help with putting your borders on, but it will help with basting the quilt top to quilt it.
Marcia in TX
Old 02-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Thanks again, everybody. These are all great ideas and you've given me a lot to work with.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
I use Sharon Schamber's board basting method. It can be seen on YouTube. So much easier to sit and baste...
Me too. It's a brilliantly easy method, whether pinning or thread basting.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM

I used to love the fusible batting made by Hobbs, and would do it on the garage floor, but I can't seem to find it anymore, so between that and my knees and back not getting any younger, I gave up on the floor. But even if I had a table big enough to hold an entire queen or king-sized quilt, I wouldn't be able to reach into the center of it to fuse, pin or smooth down a spray basted quilt. So I join the ranks of those who pin in sections using the clamp method.