Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have never sewed a quilt I’m >

I have never sewed a quilt I’m

I have never sewed a quilt I’m

Old 02-15-2019, 11:47 AM

Have you visited your local quilt shop? It would be a good place to find a beginners level class.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
Have you visited your local quilt shop? It would be a good place to find a beginners level class.
I find I learn better but doing it wrong first and then asking questions. Lol... I played hell trying to learn trig in a college physics class but I finally figured that out before I flunked the physics class.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shoofly1 View Post
It has been fun reading this thread. To add my two cents, you don't need to put a binding on the quilt if you "birth" it. Lay the finished top and the backing right sides together and square it up. Sew a straight line around the edges, leaving an opening of 10" or so, and turn the quilt inside out.
I can see how that could be another cheat for me and I am totally putting that in my memory bank. Just the way I made the dog pillow.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 PM

I was tinkering with all the spare thread I had around the house. Mind you I still have a leather needle loaded on everything I use. I was using store bought upholstery thread on top an something heavier on bottom with my 15-91. I grabbed some all purpose thread from the sewing basket I got when my mother in-law passed away. I wound a bobbin with that very tiny thread and using the same on top. I’m getting the crazy wrinkly stitch. I know it’s a tension issue but I cannot seem to overcome it. I switched to my modern singer still the same issue. My mother showed me that gathering trick a long time ago. I forget how it worked loose upper tension and pull the last thread to make the seam gather wrinkly. I probably need a smaller needle. I think I used that technique on some simple balloon curtains I made for my daughters room on summer when she came to stay with me.

In closing yall y’all all warned me quilting is a earned skill it’s not easy to be perfect. Yes I’m in the deep end of the pool and the bottom seems far away but I can tread water long enough to swim back to the shallow end. This might be a crooked mess when it’s done. Maybe I should have just made a set of pot holders. Yes I see everything as a quilt now. This will get done.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 PM

#1 rule is, when you have a stitch formation problem, rethread the machine, top and bottom.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Joe

Looking good Doug! I think I have that same cabinet but I took out the older machine and put in a singer 457 Stylist. Actually haven't used it since I put it in there but very excited to. Also binding is not that hard to make or put on really just need a few good YouTube videos
Old 02-21-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dougstermd View Post
I was tinkering with all the spare thread I had around the house. Mind you I still have a leather needle loaded on everything I use.
Leather needle? ? ? ? Those make actual cuts of the thread in the fabric. Yoiks! I hope you have changed to a regular sewing needle.

I'm glad you got started with relatively simple squares. They are beautiful !

Birthing is a good way to go. I sewed the back, batt and top together, having the back and top right sides together with the batt behind the top; leaving an opening for turning.

A good way to finish it would be to tie it. Easy to do, and if you really want to do something else later, ties can be removed before or after other quilting is added.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:05 PM

Oh, no!! Wrinkly stitches!! Are you pulling out a few inches of the threads, top and bobbin, and holding them down behind the needle before you start a seam? This keeps the thread from bunching up at the beginning of the seam as you start stitching. Another way is to take a scrap of fabric and start out on it, about a half inch of sewing on the scrap, then slide the good stuff on under the needle. I do this at the beginning and ending of my seams, then clip off my scraps and go again with the next set. If its not that you could be having problems with the needle size not paired to the thread size, or putting the bobbin in wrong side up/out which means the thread is feeding off the bobbin the wrong direction. Worst case buy some more upholstery thread. I know, a trip to Wally World, look for the spools near the bottom of the Coats and Clarks thread display case.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee View Post
Oh, no!! Wrinkly stitches!! Are you pulling out a few inches of the threads, top and bobbin, and holding them down behind the needle before you start a seam? This keeps the thread from bunching up at the beginning of the seam as you start stitching. Another way is to take a scrap of fabric and start out on it, about a half inch of sewing on the scrap, then slide the good stuff on under the needle. I do this at the beginning and ending of my seams, then clip off my scraps and go again with the next set. If its not that you could be having problems with the needle size not paired to the thread size, or putting the bobbin in wrong side up/out which means the thread is feeding off the bobbin the wrong direction. Worst case buy some more upholstery thread. I know, a trip to Wally World, look for the spools near the bottom of the Coats and Clarks thread display case.
I can with out a doubt say it’s needle size to thread size. I have difficulty knowing what size thread is. Never says one a spool?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:23 PM

I got this far I wanna learn needles and thread size or I should go back to what thread works for my needle