Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A1 longarm quilter >

A1 longarm quilter

A1 longarm quilter

Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 PM

Default A1 longarm quilter

I am so thinking of buying a new long arm and I went to the Daytona show and tried them all. I loved the feel of the A1. It is smooth and I liked the feel. Anyone have an A1 that they could say they love it or they don’t. I want the programmable so I don’t have to freehand. I have a TinLizzie that has the easy glide, I just hate the freehand part.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-28-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: remove advertising
Old 03-01-2019, 06:11 AM

I have had my A1 for 15 years and I love it. I didn't have the choices then as there are now, but I have tried many machines since and I would still by the A1. I don't have robotics and need to upgrade the stitch regulator but I get by without using the regulator. I do quilt for others. I have not had to have it repaired . Very simple machine and I love the lift up table. The tech service is great. Wish you luck.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 PM

Thank you for your response. I have a tinlizzie but I am going to upgrade. I loved the feel of the A1. It is such a big purchase and I sure want to make the right decision. I appreciate your response and I am surprised no one else responded. This is my go to for all information on quilting. Most members are so good to help or give their opinion. Wish me luck in making the right decision.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 AM

well, I've never heard of the A1 before, so your lack of response may simply be due to there not being many on this board that are familiar with the machine.

It looks interesting, I wonder if they are not actively selling in the upper midwest. I don't recall seeing that at the shows I've attended, but I've only gone to a few regional ones, and they were not super big.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 AM

I know Florida just had a quilt show in the central area so were you able to check out all the various machines available? When I went to my 1st quilt show here in Iowa I played with alot of the machines just for kicks as I wasn't even in the market for a new machine. But once I played with the Innova, I was hooked. The customer service is top notch and you can call them 365/7 even on holidays. Most times they can walk you thru whatever the issue may be including how to retime your machine. I didn't get their robotics at the time as I had another that could be upgraded but since then I had to look for another and decided on the IQ. Have never looked back. Both play nicely with each other. I found getting the upgraded upper tension system was a smart move for me too as I rarely have to adjust it. Just tried 100wt monopoly thread on it yesterday and didn't have to adjust the tension at all. The head turns so you can change feet on it. Their frame also has the belly bar that can be pulled up so you can get to the other layers. They will also make the size frame you want too. This is just a thought.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

A1 is a great machine with many big name quilters using. Judy Madsen (Green Fairy) and Bethanne Nemish both quilt on an A1. I tried one out at a show and didn't like how the quilt loaded on the rollers. It made me feel like I was quilting in a ravine because the top rolled above the surface of the quilting space instead of under it like most longarms do. I felt like my visibility was severely impaired when quilting close to me. But based on the quilts I have seen out of A1, my concerns are probably invalid. I have an Innova and positively love it and I am probably biased as well.

Edited to add, before I got my Innova and before Judy was really famous I sent a quilt to her for quilting on her A1. Based on that one quilt, the stitch quality was positively beautiful. My Innova makes beautiful stitches too but I wanted to mention I do have a quilt that was quilted on a A1 by a very talented LA artist.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-03-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
I am so thinking of buying a new long arm and I went to the Daytona show and tried them all. I loved the feel of the A1. It is smooth and I liked the feel. Anyone have an A1 that they could say they love it or they don’t. I want the programmable so I don’t have to freehand. I have a TinLizzie that has the easy glide, I just hate the freehand part.
I have an A1 long arm since 1999 and still love it . I have the stitch regulator and the original table. I quilt for others and have had only 1 maintenance issue in this length of time.l Service is absolutely the best. I can call and get tech support and they walk me thru whatever the problem is. this machine is very easy to maintain. Just keep it oiled and greased in the gear area. I mainly use Signature thread 100% cotton only thread I had trouble with was superior rainbow thread so just don't use it. I do pantos,free motion, and ruler work. I live in Illinois
I bought mine before stitch regulators so when the got their perfected I drove my machine to them and they put it on in a day and I drove back the next. only other time had an issue they sent me a crate to shiop it to them since I could not drive it there that time and they made the arrangements for UPS to pick it up and return it I have tried other machines at shows and still would not buy any other machine. good luck
Old 03-04-2019, 08:10 AM

they are at all the major shows I will be seeing them at spring show in Paducah next month..
Old 03-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by skjack View Post
I had trouble with was superior rainbow thread so just don't use it.
Superior Rainbow and its "sister" thread in solids called Highlights were known problematic threads as in very weak and prone to breaking and shredding. Superior discontinued both for a period of time but now they have brought the Rainbows back. But back around 2011-12 time frame both threads were causing untold amounts of trouble for countless longarmers. Maybe they changed something in their new rainbows to solve the issue. I have successfully gotten the problem years to run with very low tension settings in both top and bobbin. So if you are stuck with some cones of it you can try running it at low tension and see if that helps you.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:59 AM

I tried the A1 at a show in Iowa and loved it. I thought it was the smoothest machine at the show and hydraulic table is a bonus. It's my "someday" machine as I'm not quite ready to make that investment just yet. There is an A1 user's group on FB if you're interested in joining. From what I've read there service is top notch.