Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stripology or June Tailor? >

Stripology or June Tailor?

Stripology or June Tailor?

Old 03-03-2019, 12:07 PM

It is sturdier than the June Tailor but that price!
I was a little hesitant about buying one when they first came on the market as I had the June Taylor one. But I thought why bother making another slotted ruler if it was the same as the one that's been around for years. There must be a reason the new one is better.
I was raised by my grandparents who raised a family during the depression. My grandfather told me that buying the best quality you forget the price. Buy the less quality and you will never forget the price.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:44 AM

There are 3 versions of Stripology....check out their videos on the Creative Grids website.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 AM

I have both and prefer the June Tailor. I don't like that I have to fold the fabric in half for the Stripology, and I find the stars and other marks just too much, wish they were in 2 colors. I am on my 2nd June Tailor, the big one, the first one split after many hours of use. I love it for cutting JR strips and 2 1/2" squares.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:17 AM

I have the June Taylor one and I'm not impressed with it. Like others have said, it's flimsy and I have trouble cutting strips with it.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:15 PM

I have only the original Stripology ruler, so I can't compare it to the June Tailor (other than I've handled the JT version when visting Joann's in the past and agree that it's much thinner/flimsier than the Creative Grids ruler).

That said, I don't use my Stipology ruler much, and I'm very glad I didn't buy it at full price. I've found that my cutting woes weren't due to a lack of the proper tools, but were related instead to my folding. With the Stripology ruler, you have fold a piece that's the full width of fabric at least twice to actually get it narrow enough to fit. If you don't have the fabric folded perfectly straight, your strips will not be straight, regardless of any fancy tools you have (at least, in my experience).

At this point, I use my big 24 1/2 inch long ruler to make strips with, which I've found to be much more accurate because I only have to get one fold just right. I also don't have a really good surface to cut larger pieces of fabric, so this could be a contributing factor to my wonky cutting.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
I want to purchase one of the slotted rulers to help me cut strips and square off blocks accurately. On the TV/online they look very similar other than price.

Here in the UK at the moment I can get the Stripology ruler for £45 and the equivalent June Tailor ruler (which is actually a bit longer!) for £31. It seems a big price difference...

All thoughts and opinions are welcome
Stripology. Much better quality, thicker and I have found my blades don't nick mine as easily.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-04-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-06-2019, 08:52 PM

I have both. I never had a nicking issue with my jt and used it for so many years was my favorite ruler. I got a gift certificate so got the stripology last year and it definitely is sturdier and slips less, but both are good products and I still use both
Old 03-08-2019, 03:12 AM

My June Tailor ruler broke through from the slot to the edge so I am looking to replace it. I think I have made up my mind. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
As usual I am odd man (woman) out. I have cut and trimmed thousands of times with my June Tailor slotted ruler and I love it. I just wish it was bigger than 12". I bought a new one and am putting off using it until the old one wears out. Cuts are very exact.
I also like my June Taylor but then I do not own any of the other ones to compare. there is a 18 inch June Taylor also and a smaller one that does 1/4 inch cuts. I own 3 June Taylor rulers and they do wear out over time and you need to be carefull how you pick it up, especially the 18 inch one, and how you cut and put the rotary cutter in. I use my June Taylor always. I would say 9 out of 10 times I cut something.