Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you run this or ruin it? >

Can you run this or ruin it?

Can you run this or ruin it?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I don't think I would have bought it without a foot.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I don't think I would have bought it without a foot.
She didn't know it was missing the foot, it wasn't until she got it home and took everything out of the boxes to set it up that she found out. Problem was that the way it was packed there were several boxes so she didn't realize until everything was put together. She knew I was thinking about buying a serger that's why she asked me these things.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I think I wouldn't turn the wheel away from me for starts. Why was she trying to do that? It can often cause a lot problems turning the wheel the wrong way. I would definitely return it and ask them to show her how they ran it.
Patrice she said it doesn't say anything in the manual about turning the hand wheel either way. Do you think maybe that's the reason why it feels so stiff when she turned it?
Old 03-22-2019, 03:36 AM

She needs to return it, I was gifted a serger, it had a foot but it was not for the machine I had. Also, I could turn the hand wheel but only so far and it became hard to turn. I tried it both ways and still the same problem. I took it in to a dealer, the service person looked at it and there was piece of cording caught way up inside of it. Not sure how that happened. Apparently it sewed about 4 inches and bound up and would not sew. Turns out the shaft was damaged, major repair and not worth spending the money on it.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:56 AM

what brand is it. call a dealer, or take it by a dealer....you can purchase a foot, plug it in at the dealer and see if it works. Babylock sergers are expensive, even second hand. But they are the best.. if that is what it is.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Patrice she said it doesn't say anything in the manual about turning the hand wheel either way. Do you think maybe that's the reason why it feels so stiff when she turned it?
I don't know, but I don't understand why she was turning the hand wheel away from her in the first place. Not a good idea.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM

Do you know the brand and model? Did she get the manual for the machine? Agree with suggestions to take to a dealer f possible. They will usually take the time to see what's up with the machine. Many feet can be purchased on line.

On some models, turning the hand wheel a certain locks the tubes so it can be threaded.

Again the manual will show directions and how-to for the machine. If a recent model, the manual may be on-line too.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
She bought it and discovered it didn’t have the presser foot now she just basically wants to know if the thing works. I mean she said the light comes on but doesn’t know if she should keep it or return it? So if she runs it will it damage it because she doesn’t want to cause them to not refund her money.
I bought a presser foot for mine for about $50. She can do either send it back for a refund since it was not whole, or take it to a sewing center and ask them to test it first, and then decide?