Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • What are we organizing today 2019 >
  • What are we organizing today 2019

• What are we organizing today 2019

Old 03-23-2019, 12:45 AM

My UFO list is the first list I ever tried to make, thanks to someone on this board. It is not complete, but after the 13th one listed, I panicked and ran out of the room, arms waving in the air. That had to be some time ago as there have been 6 crossed off the list. Probably import to jot the date down on things.

One thing I want to start is a guide sheet for each quilt I make. A reference to pattern used, a picture of the finished quilt, and at the bottom a place to attach samples of the fabrics used.
    Old 03-23-2019, 03:26 AM

Great glove box organizer, What a neat idea....
    Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 AM

The scrappy project planner has room for those things.
    Originally Posted by Battle Axe
    My UFO list is the first list I ever tried to make, thanks to someone on this board. It is not complete, but after the 13th one listed, I panicked and ran out of the room, arms waving in the air. That had to be some time ago as there have been 6 crossed off the list. Probably import to jot the date down on things.

One thing I want to start is a guide sheet for each quilt I make. A reference to pattern used, a picture of the finished quilt, and at the bottom a place to attach samples of the fabrics used.
    Old 03-23-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe

I keep meaning to do guide sheets too. I’ve been pretty good about making labels that indicate date quilt was completed. But I’ve got some quilts with double battings that I am having a hard time remembering if I used cotton and wool or Hobbs 60/40 and wool, bamboo and wool....and the art quilts are another whole problem because who knows what all I used in some of them

Rob
    Old 03-23-2019, 04:32 PM

Gave my sewing room a good straightening and vacuuming. Even though the space is much improved on the surface, there are still drawers that won't close and bins that require a full-on archaelogical dig. Plus more purging. At least I can relax when I'm in here now.
    Old 03-23-2019, 05:06 PM
    Power Poster

Well, I've got the newly donated fabric washed, pressed and folded, and stored neatly in big plastic boxes with covers. Everything is stacked on end, so I can see from the top exactly what's in there. I went through some of the pinks, added some of my pinks, and made a big pink and white lap quilt. Not a bad couple of days' work.

Next I may attack the blues....
    Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Well, I've got the newly donated fabric washed, pressed and folded, and stored neatly in big plastic boxes with covers. Everything is stacked on end, so I can see from the top exactly what's in there. I went through some of the pinks, added some of my pinks, and made a big pink and white lap quilt. Not a bad couple of days' work.

Next I may attack the blues....
    That's a ton of work in 2 days!!
    Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 PM
    Power Poster

I got my bedroom and bathroom clean...does that count? DSis comes tomorrow til Thursday.
    Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    I got my bedroom and bathroom clean...does that count? DSis comes tomorrow til Thursday.
    Definitely counts. Have a happy visit!

Rob
    Old 03-24-2019, 09:39 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610627[/ATTACH]
    Originally Posted by Darcyshannon
    Very handy. Did you use heavy stabilizer for the compartments or use something else covered in fabric?

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Great glove box organizer, JJBlaine. Would love to know more on how you made it.
    Originally Posted by JJBlaine
    A few days ago, I cleaned out my glove box, and just couldn't see shoving stuff all back in there, so I came up with this with fabric from my stash:
    The tricky part was getting the dimensions right--my glove box is shorter and more narrow in the back, and there's an odd angle where the door is. I slid larger pieces of cardstock into the glove box, and using my fingernails to score the side corner to get the right shapes.. I used those as a template to cut up some cardboard boxes.

I covered each individual piece in fabric using Mod Podge. I left about 1/2 inch of overhang, and wrapped the edges around to the backside. This would be the inside of the main tray. Once dry, I lightly sanded with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out the surface, and sprayed it with 2 coats of Rustoleum Triple Thick Glaze. I let it all dry overnight.

The next afternoon, I laid out the five pieces on a large piece of fabric and traced around them. By using a single piece, the fabric acts a a hinge, and keeps the bottom from falling out. I added tabs of about 1/2" to the front and back pieces where they would meet the sides, and cut the rest out to the exact shape. I decoupaged the bottom , back and front first, leaving a tiny gap so they would fold up properly. I let that dry, then I folded up the side pieces and used a bit of tacky glue on the tabs to form the box shape. Finally, I decoupaged the fabric up the sides, covering up the tabs. A quick sanding and some glaze, and the tray was finished.

For the dividers, I just cut, decoupaged, and glazed more cardboard in pieces with the same height and width of the inside of the finished tray. Once dry, I cut slots just over halfway with an exacto knife so that they slide together. Once assembled, I put some tacky glue along the bottom and side edges, and slide it into place.

It sounds a bit time consuming because of the dry times, but, really, it was just 5-15 minutes at a time, and actually was actually only about an hour of actual work. It is so awesome to be able to find what I need without having to dig around. I think I have to make some of these dividers for my dressers and craft supply drawers.