Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of Kaffe Fassett Fabrics >

Quality of Kaffe Fassett Fabrics

Quality of Kaffe Fassett Fabrics

Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 AM

Default Quality of Kaffe Fassett Fabrics

I finally bought some of these fabrics and appreciated the colors and designs, but was very disappointed in the weight of the fabric. It seems awfully thin. We had hoped to sell this quilt to raise funds for our church quilting group, but I hesitate to sell it as a bed quilt that would actually be used.
What are your thought about the sturdiness of these fabrics?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of Kaffe quilt kits but I haven't made any of the quilts so don't know the quality of the fabric. I buy the quilt kits to put up and then sell on Ebay after that fabric line is gone. I can get triple the price for the kit so there are many who love his fabric and the quality.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-25-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I got a pm saying it was wrong for me to buy then resell at higher price. LOL First off that's the way business is done. Second all my profits minus the original cost goes to St. Judes or Shriners. That is how I give much more to my favorite charities then I would be able to if I didn't buy and sell high and I do get the tax deduction. Wouldn't hurt if a lot more people did this.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 AM

Can't attest to the longevity of the fabric. But it washes up well and so far so good. Think the quilt I made is 6-8 months old but doesn't get washed all too frequently.

Onebyone buying and selling at a profit is just business. As my husband reminds me of often, it's worth what people are willing to pay for it.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:39 AM

I too, thought the kaffe fabrics felt thin.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

It may depend on the specific Kaffe fabric. I've made several quilts from Kaffe fabrics and never found any that I thought were thin.

As for not buying something and selling later at a higher price, hmmm... does that mean you would be willing to sell your house today for what you paid for it 20 years ago? Whether or not the profit is donated, I think it's a legitimate thing to buy kits (or anything else), hold onto them, and sell later at a higher price. I wish I had thought of it! I do have a friend who is selling parts of her huge stash on ebay. The old Alexander Henry prints, for example, go for much more than their original price.

Edited to add - I am quite sure the fabrics, even if they feel thin, will hold up after they're quilted.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

​The ones I have used were a good quality but newer ones may not be as good. As with anything else, it gets popular and they cut corners. As for buying kits and selling them at a higher price, you go girl!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I have found his shot cottons to be much thinner than the Peppered cottons and the Oakshott that come out of the UK.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:13 PM

As far as buying kits, holding onto them and selling them on ebay for a higher price, you go girl, why didn't I think of that.... And Kudos to you for using your profit after expense and using it as your donation to the charities you have picked. To me the whole thing is a win win situation.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:12 PM

I have a quilt awaiting quilting made out of his flower prints--they feel fine and I don't anticipate any issues. Have used his prints before without problems.