Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
donation quilt question >

donation quilt question

donation quilt question

Old 03-28-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1Nanoo View Post
I ask forgiveness if I offend anyone by my post, but if someone takes offense to a fabric with a Hail Mary on the back of a quilt, they would probably also be offended by The Lord's Prayer. There is more to life that looking for something to offend one. It is more than generous of you to make and donate the quilt. By the way, I am not Catholic: I am a southern Baptist, but I expect to see all denominations in Heaven.
think the big picture here is that you are Donating a beautiful quilt! If others don't want to buy a ticket...they won't. If they don't like the Hail Mary on the back, they will give it away...You are doing this with love...You also need to get joy from the gift!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-28-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-28-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1Nanoo View Post
I ask forgiveness if I offend anyone by my post, but if someone takes offense to a fabric with a Hail Mary on the back of a quilt, they would probably also be offended by The Lord's Prayer. There is more to life that looking for something to offend one. It is more than generous of you to make and donate the quilt. By the way, I am not Catholic: I am a southern Baptist, but I expect to see all denominations in Heaven.
To me it’s not about being offended as much as it may be meaningless for some people . It’s not something that everyone would want to have on a quilt so it may limit ticket sales.

I don’t think we get to tell other people what offends them.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:05 PM

Think of it this way: you are giving your time and effort to provide this quilt. You have no control over who wins it, but you do have control over making the quilt. Do what You want to do. If you place the hail Mary fabric with solid color borders, you, in effect, have two quilts, as it could be reversible. If the winner doesn't like it, then it will stay hidden on the back side of the quilt. If the winner loves it, he/she has gotten two quilts for the price of one.
In my opinion, it is somewhat unlikely that anyone who would be offended is not likely to even be at the *church* dinner, anyway.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-10-2019 at 02:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
"It is better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission first....." or something like that - there's a famous quote which I'm only partially remembering....
My watchwords in life! Personally, I think it will be fine. The Catholics I know aren't easily offended by things like that. I was at a rescue event at Halloween. Everyone had their dogs dressed in Halloween costumes. One person dressed her dog like the Pope. I asked my Catholic friend if that bothered her. She said "Doesn't bother me. In fact, I think she should have had him in a Popemobile"
Old 04-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Since you are not entirely sure about what to do, and don't have a lot of the Hail Mary fabric, I have another possible suggestion. I'd do the back of the original quilt in something neutral that would be acceptable to any denomination or religion. After all, you want to make the most money you can off of this raffle, and not deter any perspective buyers. If you have the time or are inclined to do so, how about using the Hail Mary fabric for a baby quilt or for a youth size suitable for a first communion gift? I am sure it would sell and you'd know that the buyer and/or recipient would appreciate the text. Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

Would the potential buyers/winners be able to see both sides of the quilt before spending any money on it?

Or at least a picture of " the other side"?

Especially if you use the Hail Mary fabric - it could be a plus or a minus - but I think i would want to know about it ahead of time.

Last edited by bearisgray; 04-09-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 AM

thank you for all of your thoughts and suggestions. There are usually 2 quilts (and many other things) that are on the raffle. The church doesn't really put pictures of the quilts out anywhere to advertise the raffle. The quilts have often been hung in the church hall to display them for a couple of weeks prior to the raffle.

Perhaps I could suggest that on the raffle tickets they name quilt as something to indicate the hail mary on the back (in the past they have put "flower power scrappy" as the name of one of my quilts.)

I have not handed the quilt to the long armer yet... so I am still trying to decide ha ha
Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I think It would be perfectly appropriate and beautiful. If someone finds it to be a ( turn off) they just won’t buy a raffle ticket. Go ahead and use it.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:02 AM

As a Catholic I would love it!