Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Non-Sugar Sweeteners...What's your Favorite? >

Non-Sugar Sweeteners...What's your Favorite?

Non-Sugar Sweeteners...What's your Favorite?

Old 05-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I did know one could freeze cooked oatmeal.

It really does not take very long to cook the "old-fashioned" oatmeal. Just make sure the kettle is tall/high enough to contain the boiling oatmeal. It sure does rise up!
Oh but I don't have to wash the icky pot as often!
Or take time to measure, stir ..... and watch the stuff cook.

For "best" oatmeal ... make it with milk, not water!
Old 05-18-2019, 01:10 AM

Default Non sugar sweetner

I use xylitol, recently started ketogenic lifestyle high fat, low carb, no sugar, absolutely loving it and have found xylitol works great as a sugar substitute.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:45 AM

My favorite is saccharin (Sweet & Low brand, but you can get it in in boxes that have other brand names, too). My mother and sister do not like the after taste it leaves in their mouth, but I don't have that problem with it. Aspartame does not sweeten tea or coffee for me, whether it is hot or cold. When I cook with an artificial sweetener, I will add up to half the amount needed with sugar to get the sweet taste that I want. Stevia does not have the sweet taste I like and that I get with S & L. Splenda is one that my body does not tolerate well, so had to stop using it. Nearly all of the sugar-free products have gone to using it, so have to find the sweets that use something else or do without. I am diabetic, so that is unfortunate for me.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

I only like cream in coffee, use honey from a local source in tea, don't like any sweeteners of any kind.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:28 AM

Personally, my favorite is a blend of monk fruit and stevia. The brand I found is called, "Whole Earth," and I bought it at Safeway. As I mentioned in another post, I am now growing a stevia plant, so well see how that goes.

~ C
Old 05-18-2019, 06:00 AM

I might have to try Whole Earth brand sweetener.. per their site it's offered at Starbucks.. I will have to stop by and try it in a coffee.

FYI - here's a wonderful FAQs page off their website that has a fair amount of info about stevia, monk fruit, erythritol, the processing, etc..
Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Personally, my favorite is a blend of monk fruit and stevia. The brand I found is called, "Whole Earth," and I bought it at Safeway. As I mentioned in another post, I am now growing a stevia plant, so well see how that goes.

~ C
Old 05-18-2019, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

My diabetic friend told me Monk Fruit sweetener was safe for her. Her dietitian suggested it above all sweeteners.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
For "best" oatmeal ... make it with milk, not water!
The best cooked cereal of any kind is made with milk. Delicious!
Sometimes I put raw old-fashioned oatmeal or even steel-cut oats into a dish of Kefir in the evening and eat it in the morning with no cooking. I add frozen blueberries, flax-seed meal, chia seeds, pepitas, nuts, etc. Most fruits would work.

For sweeteners I add "not much". I use stevia, xylitol or erythritol. Some of these can be used cup for cup as much as can sugar. Some need MUCH less. Swerve is used cup for cup, too. I found that if I use the erythritol, it has a better taste if I add a few drops of stevia.

My grand-neice has written many books about the Keto way of eating. It is not a weight-loss diet, but those who do this, usually loose weight if they need to. It is a healthy way of eating. Google mariamindandbodyhealth if you want to know more.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
The best cooked cereal of any kind is made with milk. Delicious!
Sometimes I put raw old-fashioned oatmeal or even steel-cut oats into a dish of Kefir in the evening and eat it in the morning with no cooking........
For some reason, I never get around to making other hot porridge/cereals any longer.
Always loved Red River Cereal/Porridge .... is it still available?
Must try to find some in the store.

Have tried the "soaked" oatmeal, but not a fan .... I think it was just too starchy for my likiing.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Stevia is our favorite. It's all natural, doesn't raise your blood sugar, and zero calories. Win, win, win!