Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I FMQ this way? >

Can I FMQ this way?

Can I FMQ this way?

Old 05-18-2019, 02:00 PM

I've done it, but with a walking foot. I bought the book, Divide and Conquer! Quilt It Your Way, by Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan and the way you describe is one of the tutorials in the book.

They describe it this way:

First, Make the top in one piece. Then, sandwich the whole quilt, but spray baste or pin the center section only (1/3 usually). (I spray basted, so used newspaper to keep the spray off the parts I didn't want to stick.) Then you fold back 1/3 of the backing and top, leaving the batting only. Then, you cut the batting away. She suggests you use a wavy line. Then, repeat on the other side. Quilt the middle. Add the backing back on one side, using pins or spray to adhere it. She suggests a whip stitch to sew the batting back. Quilt that, then repeat on the other side.

I thought I was very careful to mark the batting I cut away to show exactly where to place it when I added it back. I could not get it to fit right, so next time, I'll just cut it straight. I tried to use that adhesive that you iron on to join the pieces. That didn't work, it just melted the scrim on the batting. I finally just zig-zaged it together. It all worked out. Maybe if I had just hand sewed like they suggested, it would have worked better.

Like I said, it worked out fine. There was a little bit of frustration, but that's how almost all new experiences are. I'd leave 2 1/2 to 3 inches free so adding the batting back will be hiccup free.

They also have a method for adding the borders after the center is quilted. It is a book worth having. Used, it's $5.19 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1880972433/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1_olp?keywords=divide+and+conque r+quilt+it+your+way&qid=1558216649&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

bkay
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 PM

I planned on connecting the whole quilt top and the complete backing (the way bkay explained) Marti Mitchell quilts each piece in sections
Old 05-19-2019, 04:25 AM

I quilt in sections. I don't but the batting straight, I cut it apart in large waves, then use the herringbone hand baste the two pieces together. With the wave cut, there is no issue with a straight line ever being an issue where they join together. You do have to watch getting close to the edge of the batting. I mark with water soluble pen on the top of the quilt, where my batting edge is.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:50 PM

Thank everyone! I've always pondered this question --now have the answer even if it wasn't my question.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:45 AM

I took a Craftsy class now Bluprint class by Ann Peterson titled Quilting Big Projects. I would check on you tube to see if she has any free videos. The class was great because at the time I took the class I did not have a longarm and I learned so much from her. This was talked about in one of the later lessons in the class.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
I have fmq on smaller quilts, but considering making full size quilts. I quilt with a small bernina machine and it doesn't have a large throat space. I have struggled with twin size quilts and been successful, but now want to do a full size quilt. I'm thinking sandwich it together using the full top and backing but only put the batting in the center third of the quilt and quilt that area first. After completing that area sew in some batting on the left side and quilt that area. Then sew some batting on the right side and quilt that area. It seems that less batting would make it take up so much less space in the throat area of the machine.

My question is will I be able to sandwich the 2 remaining thirds nice and flat after having done some quilting? I do like to fmq and sending quilts out to a long arm is not an option. Thank you
I use this QAYG Method. I have been able to FMQ Any size quilt I want.. Only thing is I leave 1/2" on the side where the next column will be added unquilted. Then I pickup and go on from there. I've done them with and without sashing. WAY easier than trying to manipulate a huge quilt with a small harp. Take a look. it works great. I use Angela Walters FMQ along quilting patterns she teaches and it's all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_b9WjeP0mU&t=194s

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-20-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-22-2019, 05:35 PM

From the response's I'm thinking I can do it the way I was thinking of. Therefore I will give it a shot after I finally get my house functional and could begin quilting can't wait.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
This sounds like the quilting method Marti Michelle teaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeelhIA3qAY
I am so glad I read this thread. I learned something new today and since I typically make larger quilts it will come in very handy.