Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shows and men >

Quilt shows and men

Quilt shows and men

Old 05-02-2019, 11:37 AM

One funny story - the first time DH and I went to MSQC, while I was looking at fabric he was peaking into a room at back where they has some vintage sewing machines. He got invited in and was having a nice chat with the ladies about vintage machines and sewing.

Boy was I surprised to find him chatting away with Jenny Doan when I went looking for him! He had no idea who she was LOL!!
Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
I see men at quilt shows all the time, it's nothing uncommon. I never cared enough to give it a thought.
I see men at the Houston Quilt Fest. Mostly they are holding packages and looking bored!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:45 PM

My husband goes with me and appreciates all the work that goes into making a quilt and the beauty of the finished quilt. He enjoys it as much as I do.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
One funny story - the first time DH and I went to MSQC, while I was looking at fabric he was peaking into a room at back where they has some vintage sewing machines. He got invited in and was having a nice chat with the ladies about vintage machines and sewing.

Boy was I surprised to find him chatting away with Jenny Doan when I went looking for him! He had no idea who she was LOL!!
I love this story! so funny.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Cant go anymore. Feet won't let me, and Ill darn sure not use one of those leg and ankle killer electric carts I see at shows. My wife and I owned a quilt shop for 42 yrs. and we went to all the shows we could get away from shop to go to. My wife was the first custom machine quilter in our state.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 PM

I prefer to go to shows alone so my husband never goes with me. I, however, go to his fly fishing shows and spent last Saturday at a tractor show. I enjoy hanging out with him and he likes to have my company. If I asked him to go to a quilt show with me he probably would, but I think I'd just tell him to go fishing. One great thing is that he has no problem taking me to quilt shops in the towns we go through on our way to fishing and tractor shows. Kind of a win-win for me!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
He was a construction worker before he retired and he can look at a joining point from across the room and tell you if it was vertical or out of plum and tell you if it was 1/4" off center. Probably why he really loved the symmetry of flying geese.
My dh was educated as a Mechanical Engineer, and is a skilled carpenter. He has built houses and made chairs for a living in the past. His secret super power is the ability to look at a bolt and tell you the thread size. My son, the potter was amazed when dh (his stepdad) did it for him. Unfortunately, the "function over form" part of his engineer brain makes him no fun at quilt shows. I might take him to the state fair this year just to re-test my hypothesis.