Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay to cut binding from length of fabric? >

Okay to cut binding from length of fabric?

Okay to cut binding from length of fabric?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

I don't see why you can't.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 PM

I have always cut mine selvage to selvage because that was how I was taught but now I can use up some of those long pieces cut from lengths cut off after done quilting before binding. Does anyone think there might be a problem with waviness or not any because the fabric is so narrow. Just a question. So glad someone asked the question.
Wendy B
Old 02-24-2010, 02:18 AM

They say fabric stretches less lengthwise, so there shouldn't be a problem with waviness. I use what I have for bindings, regardless of which way I've had to cut. I've never had a problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I have cut mine both across and length, both work the same.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 AM

I just can't believe I never thought of doing this. I LOVE this board!!!!! Thank you everyone.
Wendy B
Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 AM

About bias binding: Years ago, I purchased 2 laminated instruction sheets for making bias binding. I don't know if I can mention brands on this board but one of them is gold colored and put out by a 2-famous quilter team. The other is red and copyrighted in 1985 by a company in Tennessee. They show slightly different methods and I've used both with equal success. The red one has a handy binding yardage chart on the back and the yellow one has a method for joining the 2 ends of the binding together without lumps. The instructions are well-written and the methods are easy.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM

I usually cut selvage to selvage, but if I have had to cut length for borders and don't have much width on the cross grain, then I cut straight grain, it really doesn't matter as long as it works for you.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM

I bought one of those Binding Thingy tools to make perfect" bindings and ended up doing it the way I have always done it. I probably did something wrong with the tool but it didn't meet exactly. I'm sure it was my fault since the tutorial showed a perfect binding, but I was in a hurry and just wanted to get it done. Oh well, I'll keep trying.
Wendy B
Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Is this the binding tool you have? I love mine and it is really easy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGrGz6ukn0
Originally Posted by sunkistmi
I bought one of those Binding Thingy tools to make perfect" bindings and ended up doing it the way I have always done it. I probably did something wrong with the tool but it didn't meet exactly. I'm sure it was my fault since the tutorial showed a perfect binding, but I was in a hurry and just wanted to get it done. Oh well, I'll keep trying.
Wendy B
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

I ALWAYS cut my borders and binding on the longest part of the fabric, just so I can have a nice one piece border and binding. I think it gives it a smooth look.