Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay to cut binding from length of fabric? >

Okay to cut binding from length of fabric?

Okay to cut binding from length of fabric?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 AM

I have a binding tool and love it but the instructions I posted about were typewriter-sized pieces of paper heavily laminated for protection. I bought them at a local quilt shop and they still carry them.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Yep, that's the one. I even ran the tutorial as I was putting it on. Shows how dense I am. I think I cut it in the wrong place because I ended up with way too much fabric. I'll keep trying since I have lots of bindings with the little kitty quilts.
Wendy B
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Wendy, watch this video, it is updated. The Missouri Quilt Co, was getting a lot of calls. The left side binding you mark the line and line the tip of the tool up with the line not the line with the line like you do on the right side, I hope this makes sense. Otherwise you will end up with too much fabric. Hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri.../5/ex2PajesRvU
Originally Posted by sunkistmi
Yep, that's the one. I even ran the tutorial as I was putting it on. Shows how dense I am. I think I cut it in the wrong place because I ended up with way too much fabric. I'll keep trying since I have lots of bindings with the little kitty quilts.
Wendy B
Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 PM

I didn't know that and it may be the reason mine was so off, seems like it was well over an inch. I actually had the tutorial on while I was sewing it on and stopping and starting it as I did the steps. As I said, I will continue to try and get it right since it looks really easy. thanks for the tip.
Wendy B
Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM

I did the same thing the first time. I even thought I was going to have to add more binding because I had already cut the angle. But since on the left side you line the tip to the line, the line was still there and I had plenty of binding and looks great. Also keep the writing alway up, you can feel it and it should say it on the angle.

Is your tool clear? When I got mine it had a blue plastic on it. I knew to remove it but the people that sold mine to me at the show said it was suppose to stay on, but it is suppose to be clear that was just a protection to keep it from getting scratched up, when in with the rest, it is easier to read with out that blue coating.
Originally Posted by sunkistmi
I didn't know that and it may be the reason mine was so off, seems like it was well over an inch. I actually had the tutorial on while I was sewing it on and stopping and starting it as I did the steps. As I said, I will continue to try and get it right since it looks really easy. thanks for the tip.
Wendy B
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM

I'll have to have a go at this. I've always cut my binding selvedge to selvedge, but cutting along the length seems a better option if there is enough fabric.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I ALWAYS cut my borders and binding on the longest part of the fabric, just so I can have a nice one piece border and binding. I think it gives it a smooth look.
Yeah, me too. It's never even occurred to me to cut any other way unless I need bias binding.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM

I prefer using the length of the fabric as it has less give and if I'm trying to square up a quilt that has had a lot of quilting it keeps that eased in body of the quilt stable.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Why not? I only cut bias to do curved edges. If the edges are straight, I cut on the longest side of the fabric to cut down on number of strips to be sewn together. I never have a problem!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Most patterns call for cutting across the width but after thinking about the fact that there is less stretch going along the length, I think that cutting across the width is only done to save fabric.