Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
problems with internet explorer? >

problems with internet explorer?

problems with internet explorer?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by craftiladi
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I love Firefox, I also use AVAST anti virus program its free and I have never had a problem with it in the 2 years I have used it. I won't even use Internet explorer, if a page won't load with it then I don't even bother with it.
Ok silly question from a non genis computer user. My computer is old and low on memory [no more rm-so we can't add more] If I download Firefox can I delete Internet Explorer or does windows xp need IE?
Does someone have a link for AVAST-I went looking for it the last time I complained about my norton slowing down my computer but there were so many links I wasn't sure which one I was supposed to use...help please-welcome to PM if that would make it easier, any help would be very much appreciated.
thank-you
dee
http://www.avast.com/index
Its free if you use the residential user one.

You can uninstall IE, if never really leaves your machine, but the bulk of it does.
Have you gone through your computer and cleaned it out, meaning uninstalled old programs no longer being used, old games, duplicate files , empty folders..etc?
Chasing Hawk I took the plunge this am and deleted that AWFUL Norton off my computer and downloaded avast-so far what a wonderful change. I have even gone to a few web sites that usually load realllly slllooow and wow what a differance.
Yes I reguarly go through and delete old history files. Once a mth I go through and clean pic & favorite files.
Any thing I should be doing?
thank-you all so much for your wonderful help.
dee
Old 02-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Craftliady, take a look at my steps in this thread.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37639-1.htm

I know it's long and wordy, but it is not hard to actually do.

I still have a few more months of my Norton subscription, but it has so seized control of my computer that I plan to get rid of it when its time is up and try Avast. So it's very good to see that your experience with switching has been a positive one.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Craftliady, take a look at my steps in this thread.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37639-1.htm

I know it's long and wordy, but it is not hard to actually do.

I still have a few more months of my Norton subscription, but it has so seized control of my computer that I plan to get rid of it when its time is up and try Avast. So it's very good to see that your experience with switching has been a positive one.
Lisa I had already read your post before doing any of the computer maintenance this morning. Most of what you recommended I already do as part of my routine-great post. I have printed out your message to remind myself.
I too hated deleted Norton as I already had pd for my renewal in Jan 2010 but it was playing such havic on my computer it just wasn't worth it. I had written to norton several times as well as trying to use thier on line help but never recieved any response. Up until this time I love norton but feel its just not the product it used to be.
Thanks so much
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
cjc

I have used Firefox for years (since Windows 98) and I use Thunderbird for my email program. They both are great! IE really eats up the RAM with all the extra cr..stuff..that it loads
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Dumb quistion How do you get firefox and is it really free? I have no pertection on my computer and have no money to get any and it is getting slow, are all these things free and how do I get them? I am not computer smart, well except for the backspace button because I can't spell. I know that one real well.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 AM
cjc

Just put the word firefox into your search engine or go to www.Mozilla.com and download it. It a own source software and there is no charge. You can also get free anti virus for personal use...google. Avg free. Go to the websie make sure you download the free one because there is also one that they chg for. I have used all of this software for years with no prob at all
Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
Dumb quistion How do you get firefox and is it really free? I have no pertection on my computer and have no money to get any and it is getting slow, are all these things free and how do I get them? I am not computer smart, well except for the backspace button because I can't spell. I know that one real well.
Penny, Firefox is free. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

Before you even download that, though, please, please get yourself these free programs:
Anti-virus: http://www.avast.com/index
Or: http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Anti-spyware/adware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Install them and run the scans before you do anything else. Adware and spyware just slow your system done, but viruses and trojans can destroy it.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM

here's a q for ya...i d/l firefox, but on some sites such as youtube, it says that javascript is either disabled or that i need a newer version of adobe flash player, checked both and they're fine...maybe the settings?, which i don't know where and how to get to
Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Well, I installed Firefox and don't see much difference, except that it is slightly faster - but then, I don't have many problems with IE's speed.

It lets you pick a pretty design, which is nice but ultimately too distracting. Once I'm viewing a web page, that's all I want to see. No other designs in the background.

It actually doesn't work well for me, because I use a personal portal that I store on my hard drive, and it can't load pages from that for some reason. I think I just need to change some code and it will work, but until I have/make time to do that... but I will at some point, because I love that it's open source and much more concerned with the user than with profits.

Anyway, now I'm interested to try Chrome...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Thank you for posting this topic. I am soooo greatful! I was having a problem with my laptop running slow and I could not open up the windows, like in these threads, so I got my husband in here to read your thread. So we downloaded Firefox and guess what. "UNBELIEVEABLE"! It is SUPER FAST!. Also, now I can open the windows again. I have had to type these websites for so long now because IE would not let me open the windows and we tried everything.

Thank You again, you guys are my guardian angels! :thumbup: