Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Pressing Mat >

Applique Pressing Mat

Applique Pressing Mat

Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 AM

Thanks so much for your tip. It was exactly what I was looking for as I can get a silicone baking mat at Costco at a much better price.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Wax paper will leave a waxy residue on your fabric, gum up your needle and keep your fusible webbing from adhering.
parchment paper works great as an appliqué pressing sheet.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM

I use parchment paper. It works great. When it gets too much glue on it I just toss it and cut another sheet.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I bought several black Teflon like oven liner mats on clearance at WalMart for $2 each. They are very large, fits the bottom of the oven. They work great to cover the ironing surface. I cut one into smaller sizes for small pieces.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:46 PM

I also use a Silpat (brand name of mine) for my pressing mat. I love that I get better heat and adhesion. Quilty friends had suggested parchment paper but I really like the Silpat and yes it does get hot!!
Old 06-24-2019, 04:04 PM

Don't use wax paper and don't use freezer paper to prevent fusible from sticking to your ironing board, parchment is the best choice for this purpose.

Freezer paper is great for prepping applique. I also use it for sewing patterns like blouses and skirts. I trace the pattern piece onto freezer paper, then iron the freezer paper onto the fabric and cut the piece out. Beats using pins.

Wax paper is great for rubbing on the base of light bulbs - makes them screw in a lot easier. Also, if you hang hangers on a metal pole, rub wax paper on the pole, it will help the hangers slide easier and quieter.

Parchment paper is great for fusibles. It's basically what the paper is on paper-backed fusibles. Parchment is also great for non-stick baking.

This has been Peckish's Helpful Hints and Hacks, thank you for watching.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

When I was a kid, we would rub the slide with wax paper to make our bottoms soar down it. Back then slides were all metal and very tall. Nothing like the whimpy ones now. LOL Our park has one tall metal slide left. My grands love it. A milestone for them was when they were big enough to climb the steps to the top. It's big enough for adults to slide with a toddler in their lap.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 AM

Thank you for your creative idea.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When I was a kid, we would rub the slide with wax paper to make our bottoms soar down it. Back then slides were all metal and very tall. Nothing like the whimpy ones now. LOL Our park has one tall metal slide left. My grands love it. A milestone for them was when they were big enough to climb the steps to the top. It's big enough for adults to slide with a toddler in their lap.
I was just watching a show based in Belgium, and had to smile at the playgrounds! No kid safe base, huge slide, metal monkey bars, etc...
Old 06-28-2019, 04:27 PM

Freezer Paper...I use the Silcone oven mat on my machine desk surface for easy glide when FM quilting...Just cut out where needle is and tape it down.