Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting over redwork blocks >

Quilting over redwork blocks

Quilting over redwork blocks

Old 02-17-2019, 09:14 AM

I agree. I would quilt around the red work, not through it.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I have done many small quilts that are embroidered. If you want you can do through some of my previous post and see the ones I did. My favorite way is to outline and then use a filler to accent the blocks. I will say though, there have been some blocks that I ran a discreet stitch line through the embroidery in however many places needed, if the design is so large that the design is not supported enough and
stands proud and seems too big of an area unquilted. This to me would make it to where the embroidered part would wear out way too fast and might wear or shred after washing a few times. I always think about form following function. It is only simple logic. That part would be open to wear.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:31 AM

I have quilted many, many embroidery quilts, both around and through the embroidery. I do whichever the owner wants. I usually use a thread color that matches the background. Depending which batting is used it is sometimes necessary to stitch through the embroidery. When I stitch over the embroidery it is very hard to see the stitching. My concern would be if the hopping foot will glide over the embroidery without catching any of the embroidery threads. I would stand at the front of the machine and lead the machine over the embroidery to make sure it will be ok to stitch from a pantograph pattern.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Barbara Stanbro has a blog called Cat Patches and she is currently quilting a quilt she made with embroidered blocks. Some of her quilting is very creative. Here is a link to her most current post. https://catpatches.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2019, 02:48 PM

I quilt over them all the time as I mostly use pantographs. I usually use the clear thread.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
Barbara Stanbro has a blog called Cat Patches and she is currently quilting a quilt she made with embroidered blocks. Some of her quilting is very creative. Here is a link to her most current post. https://catpatches.blogspot.com/
some great quilting ideas there
Old 07-02-2019, 03:59 PM

Thank you everyone for the information. I know it would look better by not quilting over them, but there large 12” blocks that were a set of floral stencils. There are 6 of them. I love this quilt and I’m so afraid of trying free motion on it and messing it up. I’m used to pantograph . I finished this top 3 years ago if that tells you anything of how scared I am to ruin it. I’m going to practice on a scrap piece and try to get up the courage to do it. Scrap pieces always look good though.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 AM

I was afraid to quilt over some redwork blocks for a baby quilt but I decided to go ahead and do it. Found if I used the same color as the background that it really doesn't show like you'd think. Here's a close up for one I did back in 2014. Don't think it looks too bad with simple crosshatching.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Close-up of quilting 2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	680.9 KB
ID:	614478  
Old 07-04-2019, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

to me, red work is hand work and should stand out on it's own for what it is. otherwise, why do it?