Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who is using decorative stitches? >

Who is using decorative stitches?

Who is using decorative stitches?

Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 AM

I often use decorative stitches. When doing a simple smallish quilt, I will often use a wavy leaf stitch down the center of the sashing (whenever I do not feel the need for my walking foot). And, while I admire all those who hand stitch their binding, I machine sew it. And, depending on the design, I might use a simple decorative stitch to sew down the front of the binding. Not only does it add a bit of something, but it also covers any possible slips on the back off the edge of the binding. (I can hear all the purists gasping...LOL) I make a lot of children's quilts and I do not expect them to be kept as heirlooms. I want them to be dragged around, taken outside and truly used. So I make them as sturdy as I can and this is why I machine stitch binding. The use of decorative stitches is just for fun and started when my girls wanted fast and simple cotton skirts for every holiday to wear to school/work. Often I would get the request in the evening for the next day (typical kids!). A yard gathered, add a waistband, a zipper and hem it. All on the machine. I started using a decorative stitch on the front of waistband and the hem and could make the skirt in an hour. Everyone was happy so I started thinking about why not do the same thing for bindings ..hmm ....worked great!
Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 AM

I love the decorative stitches on my machine and I use the serpentine stitch a lot on quilting tops. One of my favorite quilts is the crazy quilt and I used a lot of different stitch designs on the quilting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crazy quilt.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	615167  
Old 07-23-2019, 09:24 AM
anonymous

Fun to use on kid's projects. Self binding baby blankets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	615171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908 (1).jpg
Views:	361
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	615172  

Old 07-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by summitbay View Post
Fun to use on kid's projects. Self binding baby blankets.
Those elephants are just darling. Do you have that elephant edge sewing design in your machine? what machine is it?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 AM

if you ever do a Betty Cotton quilt you can use several of your fancy stitches
Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 AM
anonymous

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Those elephants are just darling. Do you have that elephant edge sewing design in your machine?
I do. Actually quite a few different animals. I was using my bernina and I think the 770. Heirloom sewing is another type of sewing where the extra stitches are nice to have. The hemstitch or pinstitch is used for some of that. If any of you have the circle attachment it is a good way to use decorative stitches without having an embroidery machine. I made pretty candle mats as Christmas gifts for a ladies guild luncheon at church. You mostly have to let your creative juices flow.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 PM

I use them all the time on diff Applique quilt blocks instead of using the same old Blanket Stitch or border stitches...I also use them on my crazy quilts. pocket books, tote bags...I love all the diff creative things you can come up with and using them...
Old 07-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Most of my charity quilts and a lot of utility and baby quilts have the binding sewn onto the back, then brought to the front and stitched down with a decorative stitch. That is actually recommended for Linus quilts. So quick and easy.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:15 PM

Those elephants are delicious! I keep hearing about this mysterious serpentine stitch.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:36 PM
DJ

I use mine in many of the ways mentioned here. I do however, find that I generally use the same two or three and occasionally a couple of others for kids things. I definitely do not use all 200+ (or whatever) stitches available.

I find they add a special touch with the added benefit that if it's not absolutely perfectly straight, it not noticeable.