FW class with Nova Montgomery

Old 07-30-2019, 04:46 PM

Default FW class with Nova Montgomery

I have signed up for a FW maintenance class with Nova Montgomery. Has anyone taken one? What should I expect? Any tips?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:29 PM

I attended one of her FW classes almost 2 years ago in Williamsburg, VA and it was fabulous! It is truly hands on the FW and she guides you through the process. I don't recall needing anything as her workshop supply list that she asks you to bring or is available for purchase at the class was extensive. The towel and apron were both "must" items and I still use them when doing maintenance on mine. Expect a teacher who loves sharing her love of maintenance for these beauties.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
I attended one of her FW classes almost 2 years ago in Williamsburg, VA and it was fabulous!
I was in the same class! She is a wonderful teacher, and I learned alot.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

She was in my city while I was away. Darn! I've heard she's fantastic.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 AM

I agree, she surely knows her stuff! Everyone who has a featherweight should take her class so you will know how to take care of this wonderful machine. She gives so much information and is an excellent teacher.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I have taken two of the FW classes with her. She is wonderful and her knowledge of the FW is amazing. She was at a retreat I was at and she stayed up with a group of us until wee hours telling us wonderful stories and fascinating history of quilts. If you get a chance to attend one of her lectures it's worth it. Her talk about the depression era and the quilt show has several shocking facts. I recommend the purchase of the new foot pedal for the FW and she will connect it herself in class. If you have the white featherweight there is a difference in how you do maintenance on it but all is covered. She makes sure every class member knows how to get the perfect stitch and tension too.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

​Green with envy!!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Green with envy!!
Tartan - there are some places left on her Southwest tour (Im going to Phoenix); grab a plane and join me.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the info, I can't wait to go.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:06 AM

Yes! We traveled to Dade City, FL, for her class and it was amazing how much I learned! I have two FWs. One is a "beater" and the other was inherited from DH's mother. I worked on the "beater" and hubs worked on his mother's. He was delighted...the smell of the kerosene and oil reminded him of life on US Navy ships! Nova really packs a lot of information into the day. She has you clean and oil little spots that would easily be missed. She also tells you why some FWs smell and how to remedy that. Tips: Take every single thing she has on the class supply list. You Will use them all. Try to have some extra money or a credit card available just in case you want to buy something that needs replacing. To be clear: nothing extra has to be purchased, but some things can be and if something needs replacing it just makes sense to do it at Nova's class. You will be using kerosene and oil, so be prepared for that. I couldn't get the tension set correctly, so Nova came and performed her magic which only took a few seconds. Not a big thing, but an important thing. Nova is an excellent teacher. I highly recommend her class.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-01-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps