Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help sewing while traveling >

Help sewing while traveling

Help sewing while traveling

Old 08-11-2019, 03:00 AM

You could do a Trip Around The World Layout, too.

Sorry, I have to ask: Why is it up to your partner whether or not you can bring your machine?
Old 08-11-2019, 03:41 AM

I found a glue pen to be very useful in EPP and tiny hexies. So stock up before leaving.

Hexies in a diamond pattern look very nice. They seem as portable as flower garden blocks.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:01 AM

I have done a number of hand pieced quilts. Of course my GMFG is my favorite (you can tell by my avatar). I am new to EPP and am not sure of myself in that process. Stitching by hand seam to seam from the underside it how I have done all my had piecing to date, but I am prepared to start a EPP in the near future. Square are a great way to start stitching by hand. Believe me when I say smaller pieces are better to start with than larger pieces. It is easy to stretch pieces when they are larger. I would not use anything larger than a 2 1/2" square. You will have great control there for a beginner. Have a relaxing cruise. BTW check with your cruise activity director. They may have a sewing machine there you can use.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
You could do a Trip Around The World Layout, too.

Sorry, I have to ask: Why is it up to your partner whether or not you can bring your machine?
It’s really not up to him, we are flying internationally and my machine is so heavy, I really don’t want to take it. I just use him as my fall guy. Anyway I’m kind of fascinated with paper piecing.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:59 AM

Call the cruise line and see if they have sewing machines for you to use. A small feather weight might work, packed really well in your luggage. Not sure of their weight, but someone here can tell you. I have carried one on in a well padded bag....but I wasn't going to be gone for a month! Wow! that is so wonderful you are able to make this trip.
Oh, instead of hexies, why not Yo Yo's? You can make, vests, pillow covers, quilts etc. out of these. Use an accuquilt machine with a circle die and punch out hundreds....easy to make while traveling.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
I've just begun a paper piecing project, nothing planned really, just 6 pointed stars with scraps, and have tried different techniques for sewing together. The method I've settled on is this. Watch it to the end and she explains why the stitches are invisible.

Using milliners 11 needles with Bottom Line thread (not sure if this was recommended in this tute or another) I now have 'perfect' piecing. So good in fact that I have gone back and unpicked all that I did with other methods.
Good info, thank you, Bobbinalong!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:08 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615942[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]615943[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]615944[/ATTACH]These first two were designs by Katja at Katja's quilt shop in Kamloops, BC, you can purchase all the patterns from her online, and any directions as well - these are all hand sewn quilts. She is the author of a few hexagon books, with great instructions and paper piecing pieces - already packaged. Please call her and talk to her about your hexagon and cruise, I know she would love to hear from you. https://www.katjasquiltshoppe.com/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hexagon - March 1 2019.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	615942   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020019  The New Hexagon - Millefiore Quilt Along - designed by Katja Marek - Jan 2015.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	615943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quilt - Hexagon made by hand.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	615944  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:45 PM

batiks would make a marvelous colorwash hexie, flowing from one color to another.

I've never had pleasant experience hand sewing batiks, test drive different needles and threads before you leave.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 AM

Default Hexie pattern

You might want to consider grouping colors light to dark and arranging them diagonally.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:10 AM

Chart it out on a bit of hexi graph paper, coloured in the way you want before leaving. Make 2-3 copies & stow in different suitcases in case you misplace a graph ( or it blows overboard,lol).