Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on quilting my top >

Advice on quilting my top

Advice on quilting my top

Old 09-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Advice on quilting my top

Just completed my second bed-sized project. The first one i tied because it was way too heavy for my machine. This one I have a new machine, and no real idea on how I want to quilt it. I have done some straight line quilting on smaller projects, and practiced some FMQ on extra blocks made out of scraps.

I think I would rather work with my walking foot on this one; I have so many 'firsts' on this top it is silly. First project on my new machine; first time using a machine with an adjustable needle position. first time using a strip cutting ruler, first time using precuts. The whole thing feels like I have taken a few steps backwards in my piecing skills. Please don't look too closely at the picture, you'll see all my mistakes!

So i have this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]617123[/ATTACH]

I love the colors, but I'm not sure how to quilt it. There's not a lot of movement to the quilt, it feels like all straight lines and hard corners. The last nine patch I did I quilted straight lines, quarter inch away from the seams in both directions so the quilting mirrored the nine patch. I'm afraid that might be too matchy here, and I'd really like to add some texture to all those white blocks. Anybody have any suggestions? Advice?

I'm just not sure what I would like that is in my skill level.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190903_172247.jpg
Views:	1414
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	617123  
Old 09-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

If you want to do curves then orange peel on continuous curves would work well in each square. If you are more confident doing straight line stitching, then stitch in the ditch all your blocks. After you stitch in the ditch, you can add more quilting later. Pretty top!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:01 PM

I see no mistakes only lovely colors. I love what you've done. I have no advice about how to quilt it, but I'm sure it will be beautiful.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Nice. I can envision diagonal lines in each direction across the white squares.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:43 PM

What a beautiful quilt! I love your colors!

I'm learning how to use Gimp. Here's a few rough ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	QBquiltingideassmall.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	617127  
Old 09-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Well first off your quilt is beautiful, you should be very proud of all your first. Personally any time I have what I consider to be a linear quilt I will do some kind of curved quilting. I just think it looks better. I hope that whatever you wind up doing makes you happy. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2019, 09:02 PM

I love your quilt. we must have lots in common since I have some of the same prints in my stash...and nine patch is my favourite. Since you are new to quilting, I might crosshatch this one. It would allow you to use your walking foot, and not be so overwhelming. It’s not really easy to use the walking foot on curves, but can be done if they are simple curves. So if you are convinced you need to do curves, how about a orange peel type curve. Or... for a different look, huge overlapping circles

check out petitdesignco...30 days of walking foot quilting, there are some great ideas here
Old 09-07-2019, 01:45 AM

If you want to use your walking foot, the curves do need to be gentle ones, like from corner to corner on all the blocks, which would result in a very lovely orange peel pattern. Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 09-07-2019, 01:59 AM

Very pretty quilt. One suggestion - if you have any extra blocks or extra fabric to make a couple of blocks would be to try a couple of different quilt patterns on them. You might even be able to photocopy a block and try drawing different quilt patterns on the paper photocopies to see what you like best.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shoofly1 View Post
Nice. I can envision diagonal lines in each direction across the white squares.
I agree with doing diagonal stitch lines going both directions creating a diagonal grid. It would fill the white spaces but not distract from the pretty 9 patches.