Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top. >

I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top.

I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Default I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top.

I have a Baby Lock Ellisimo and have pieced and quilted a number of quilts and things on this fine machine. I have used the embroidery part to do a lot of stuff but not quilting. I've pieced a queen size quilt top and would like to utilize the embroidery feature for quilting. I have not sewn the blocks together yet, but they are ready and waiting. I'm somewhat intimidated at this stage of the game at the task ahead of me. I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thank you.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

as long as you have not sewn the blocks together yet, then quilt as you go should be considered. once you have that entire top together, it has to be well-supported to embroider your quilting. and it still has to 'bunch up' into the harp/arm. i only use mine for quilting small projects. but i'd love to try a a QAYG
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM

I would quilt each block with the embroidery machine and then connect the blocks.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM

This is why I haven't sewn the blocks together yet, thinking each one could be embroidered separately. The blocks are large, 15 1/2 x 20, 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 and 15 1/2 x 3. 12 are regular patterned pieced blocks, the rest are strips sewn together to form a block, 6 large and 6 smaller blocks.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

choose a fairly (open) embroidery design- heavy stitch designs will pull up the fabric and really skew the blocks.
i would put together a small (maybe a 12" block) practice sandwich and try it out before commiting to your quilt blocks.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM

Thank you for your replies. I wish I felt more confident about this, I just don't want to mess up a years worth of work.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 AM

I use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts and I do it after the quilt is put together. You can get a contiguous design going that way.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
I use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts and I do it after the quilt is put together. You can get a contiguous design going that way.
I would love to learn how to use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts. That was the reason I bought it in the first place. Would you explain how you do it? I know I could do each block separately but that defeats the whole purpose.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
Thank you for your replies. I wish I felt more confident about this, I just don't want to mess up a years worth of work.
This is why you should do a practice piece first. You can always give it to the kids to play with if its not good. Make a sandwich of two pieces of fabric and the same batting you'll be using; then just try. The worst case you mess it up and end up with a doll quilt or potholder, etc
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM

I did make one, but I had it together when I quilted it