Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top. >

I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top.

I'm new with embroidery quilting, would like advice before I start on my quilt top.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by labug View Post
I did make one, but I had it together when I quilted it
Were you happy with the results? I've been checking different sites trying to find instructions on this but so far ...nothing.

Thanks to those of you responding. It's appreciated.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 AM

I am quilting large butter flys on a baby quilt. I have my machine butted up to wall. I have a rod put up on wall with strips hanging down that I can attach quilt (with clamps) so it takes weight off machine. I have done all kinds of quilting on quilts. Wish I had pic's . works great.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Like said before do some sample squares and practice placing the design. Move it around a bit so that you get the hang of finding center/square....pretty sure your machine would have come with quilting motifs designed for what you are wanting to do. Good Luck...you will love it once you have built your confidence.
Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
Thank you for your replies. I wish I felt more confident about this, I just don't want to mess up a years worth of work.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I am still taking classes for my sewing machine that has embroidery. I took the USB stick and the blocks to my dealer to have her help me get started on a quilt that I bought specifically for embroidering. She told me I had to have the quilt put together more. Not the whole thing put together, but bigger sections put together. Like 3'x3'.

When I bought this kit, it was made for my machine and it's embroidery. It came with a CD with specific embroidery stitches for the quilt. So, I set it aside for now, but will pick it back up and join sections so I can go back and have her with me while I embroider them. I took one class on embroidery and that was a year ago and I didn't practice, so I don't remember a thing I learned. I should have come straight home and practiced a lot. This next time I will.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by kate henry View Post
I am quilting large butter flys on a baby quilt. I have my machine butted up to wall. I have a rod put up on wall with strips hanging down that I can attach quilt (with clamps) so it takes weight off machine. I have done all kinds of quilting on quilts. Wish I had pic's . works great.
I wish you had pictures too. This sounds wonderful. I would be interested in learning more.
I know I could do the blocks separate because I've used the embroidery application a lot. However, like I said before, I'd like to learn to do the whole quilt. I'm just going to keep surfing and checking on this until I find the help I need. I will most likely quilt this top on my machine like I've done before. I'll pursue this quest with another top..
Old 10-20-2012, 03:46 AM

I wish you had pictures too. This sounds wonderful. I would be interested in learning more.
I know I could do the blocks separate because I've used the embroidery application a lot. However, like I said before, I'd like to learn to do the whole quilt. I'm just going to keep surfing and checking on this until I find the help I need. I will most likely quilt this top on my machine like I've done before. I'll pursue this quest with another top..
This sounds like the method that is used on Leah Day's web site
Old 10-20-2012, 07:16 AM

I will try to get pic's when daughter gets home from camping. I am camera and computer dumb. Hope she will help. She is also on qb. Will get back to you.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Kate,
There is a computer and camera free learning workshop classes at HP.com. You take it at your own pace and learn so much. I took the professional photography class there and what a difference it makes. It isn't hard, it is just a matter of taking the time to learn.

ps) You do not have to own a hp in order to attend classes there.

Here is the link to the site.

https://h30440.www3.hp.com/learningcenter/Default.aspx

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 10-20-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Got Pics...any questions, just ask! Have a great sewing day all!
Attached Thumbnails emb-set-up.jpg   emb-set-up2.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM

Oh my gosh, I'll get my husband to take a look at this! Thanks for the picture.