Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
To Rhonda - Miniatures - Pics before I start!  Need advice. >

To Rhonda - Miniatures - Pics before I start! Need advice.

To Rhonda - Miniatures - Pics before I start! Need advice.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Rhonda,

I pulled out the box of miniatures that I started, made from scraps from men's casual pants that I had to cut off. I loved the colors together and the fabric has a slightly brushed finish. I want to work them onto a man's vest adding other similar weight fabrics to it. This was my first piecing project ever, and unknowingly I started on miniatures which seem to be a bit more difficult due to small size. It has been a UFO for 4 years now.

Keep in mind that the fabric is similar to a med-to-lightweight denim, and some of it is already cut into triangles giving me that difficult bias edge. I was thinking of ripping it all out and starting over to make the points match more accurately. The pictures don't show it, but some of them are quite mismatched. I thought in order to salvage the lot, I could even up the triangle squares using the template that measures 1 inch finished (or 1.5 incl seam). For the bears claws I can use the smallest template. My question is this; because the weight of the fabric is heavier than normal cottons used for quilting, do you think I can straighten it by redoing it, or am I better off leaving well enough alone? I have not yet taken the seam ripper to it! I would hate to just throw it out and start over with other fabric. These have a rugged male feel that quilting cotton does not have. Thanks! KastleKitty :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265830.jpe   attachment-265831.jpe   attachment-265832.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Honestly - I think it looks great. I am looking really close at the points and they look good. I think picking them apart will stretch the fabrics. Leave them and make up for any 'boo boos' down the road. This is going to be gorgeous when you get done. We have to see the pics as you progress. It is a good idea to use dress slacks for quilting. I love recycling. One thing for sure, no one else will have the same fabrics :).
Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM

These are great. I'm a beginner and possibly shouldn't say but I wouldn't re-do them. I think goosepoint is correct in saying it will stretch the fabric.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 PM

I looked and your stitching looks great to me ... in fact, it was my first thought as I looked at them before reading your post. Nice job !!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 PM

I agree with the other ladies. What a nice job!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Rhonda, this is where I started to redo the triangle squares.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266795.jpe   attachment-266796.jpe  
Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KastleKitty
Rhonda, this is where I started to redo the triangle squares.
Ok I see what you are talking about. Yes I can send you the 1 3/4" no problem. What I see is you need to be more careful when you place the point of the template on the seam. If it helps some people use a glue stick to dot to keep things inplace. You could try that to keep the corner on the seam. Some of your HSTs don't have an even amt of fabric on the corners of the seams.

When you cut the HSTs out do you have a mini cutting mat? I can send you one if you don't. I take a cutting mat I have used hard and I cut the corners off in about 4 to 5" squares. They make great mini mats.

Here is my method of cutting out HST
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm

So when you cut out the HSTS make sure you hold the template firmly with your left hand and cut with your rt hand. Then as you turn the cutting mat make sure you don't let the template move at all. This is important for accuracy. The more accurate you can be the better and easier the piecing will be. If things are the same size you will have a better time matching the HSTs and sewing them together. A bit of prevention saves a lot of headache later on.

Did you see where I showed how I tack the Blocks together instead of using pins? This helps in your accuracy too. I do use pins but not as much. I think tacks hold it better than pins.

You can check out my tutorial on tips for making HSTs if you like. It looks like you are doing fine! As soon as you get the right size template you will be good.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23252-1.htm

Look at the top right corner. You can see the white side of the seam is wider than the green side. They should be the same or as close as possible. This makes a big differance in how they match up and how well you keep your points. The bottom left corner is what you want them to look like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266867[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266814.jpe  
Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM

OK, No I don't have a mini cutting mat, just the large one. I get the idea though, it can be turned to make the next cut without disturbing the square. When I get the template I will use the gluestick to help hold it. That is a great tip! I was trying the current templates and I can see how easy they can slide, especially with my heavier brushed fabric and thicker seams. The glue should help a lot. I know the HSTs are kind of crooked, but I did rip them all out and may have distorted them in doing so. But to be honest, they were crooked before I started! As I said, this was my very first attempt at piecing and I did not know much about quilting techniques at the time. Plus, the triangles are not necessarily with their original mate, if that makes any difference. I see how much more accurate the trimming will be with the template points securely on the seam line.

I clicked on the link and will go back to it and read it carefully. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:19 PM

Ladies, I thank you for your compliments, but the pictures really don't show how awful the corners are! I am glad to have you comment though! I will post more when I get to that point, ESPECIALLY if I need more help from Rhonda! Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KastleKitty
OK, No I don't have a mini cutting mat, just the large one. I get the idea though, it can be turned to make the next cut without disturbing the square. When I get the template I will use the gluestick to help hold it. That is a great tip! I was trying the current templates and I can see how easy they can slide, especially with my heavier brushed fabric and thicker seams. The glue should help a lot. I know the HSTs are kind of crooked, but I did rip them all out and may have distorted them in doing so. But to be honest, they were crooked before I started! As I said, this was my very first attempt at piecing and I did not know much about quilting techniques at the time. Plus, the triangles are not necessarily with their original mate, if that makes any difference. I see how much more accurate the trimming will be with the template points securely on the seam line.

I clicked on the link and will go back to it and read it carefully. Thanks for your help!
I use a small strip of sand paper glued to the bottom of my template to keep it from slipping. There are products you can buy in the LQS for this if you'd rather. Or you can use some of those round dots that are meant to keep furniture from slipping. I think they are felt.

I'll send your template and mat out tomarrow. So you can be looking for it.

If you have any more questions just let me know! Sorry I didn't see this earlier.