Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
where do I find 'old' fabric? >

where do I find 'old' fabric?

where do I find 'old' fabric?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 PM

If you are unable to find it anywhere on the internet, contact the designer. Many times they have bolts of their designs in their private stash and are willing to sell directly to you. I've been able to procure 4 different out-of-print fabrics that way.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:32 PM
RST

To my eye, that fabric is not so very unique that it makes a lot of sense to go searching for a perfect match. In your place, I would: 1. use it, along with 4 or 5 very similar fabrics with the same saturation and color family but varied prints, and go for a coordinated scrappy look or 2. Use it as a flange, the binding, cornerstones, what have you. or 3. Find another fabric that is readily available that will be just as good, and use your current piece up as a throw pillow or or coordinated pillow shams.

Unless you just love the hunt for the exact match, I don't see the point in doing it. There is a lot of fabric in the world, and a whole lot of it is going to work for any given project just fine, and often without the time and money expenditure of trying to find exactly the same two tone blender from a couple of years ago.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Take a sample of it with you to Joann Fabrics. If my monitor is correct, Joann's has the same color of yellow (school bus?) with tiny marks that look like teeny vines with grains of rice. They had it in many colors for years. The selvedge on my stash piece says "Fabric Traditions Copyright N.T.T. Inc. #1930." Also check out their Keepsake Calico "Illusions Floral Yellow" $4.79 yd. and there is also a pretty one called "Yellow Butterfly Shadow." I think WalMart also used to carry the one by Fabric Traditions or one similar but I know mine is from Joann Fabrics./// Just checked Ebay and there is some listed in the yellow and also blue. Yellow is eBay item number: 361265599184. My fabric is much richer yellow than their picture shows.

Last edited by Just Jan; 12-27-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:46 PM

I recommend posting in the "In search of ..." section here on the QB. I struck gold when I posted a similar dilemma a couple of months ago.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:03 AM

A picture of this store showed up on my facebook page. http://dishsisters.com/2015/04/03/ob...f-your-dreams/

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-05-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by roserips View Post
Good luck, I needed a piece of fabric a while back thought I had found it talked on the phone, sent a picture so I ordered it and well yes it was the right fabric line different color way even though I had described and sent a picture so I now have 3 yards of fabric that won't work for my project. I would re think and purchase only what you can see and feel no way am I purchasing any more fabric on line burn my once shame on me I am not a sucker for a second time since my budget is way to tight for that.
I purchase about 95% of my fabric online and have only been disappointed once, in probably over 100 times. (It was very thin.) And I have purchased fabric several times IN the store at Joanns and went to use it and it was flawed, so I had to cut around the bad spots or make a 30 mile trip to return it. I much prefer purchasing online and it usually ends up cheaper. I purchase when it has free shipping and usually get it cheaper per yard, and I save both time and gas. Don't let your bad experience sour you, just don't purchase from that vendor again.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
A picture of this store showed up on my facebook page. http://dishsisters.com/2015/04/03/ob...f-your-dreams/
OMG!!!! What an awesome place. If I were younger and able I would certainly make that a road trip from FL! I'm originally from PA and never knew of it. That Log Cabin Heart quilt is to die for! Wish I could find the pattern. Thanks for posting this site. You made my day! Thanks so much for your post!
Old 10-04-2019, 06:07 AM

I am also looking for older fabric. I have posted to missingfabric.com but I thought I would try here as well. Unfortunately i am having issues trying to get the picture to upload. Anyway the fabric is light to medium yellow with butterflies and dragonflies on it with greenery mixed in. The butterflies and dragonflies are a mix of teal, purple, mauve, darker yellows. I appreciate any help. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:30 AM

Shander, the help section here has a couple of really good stickied threads on how to post photos. I use a different browser and have a lot of protections on my system and still had problems until I found the site linked below, my main issue was the file size is too large. If you are using a phone, you can usually easily send a photo to yourself, that should also reduce size but those help sections will help!
https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/

For me, I use this free webpage that does not set off my browser protections. Hubby is starting to want to upgrade cameras for easier posting than our early digital model.
https://www.reduceimages.com/

I have a lot of fabrics with butterflies and dragonflies mixed and would be glad to look but a picture would really help. Also the amount of fabric you are looking for, if you need a small piece I might have it. If you need a large it is really unlikely but I have one that might be in your description...
Old 10-04-2019, 07:13 AM

Try Marshall dry goods on line good prices and large selection