Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
minky for backing >

minky for backing

minky for backing

Old 10-18-2019, 05:43 PM

I have sewn with minky before, but never on a quilt. I am wondering, does the quilt stay on the bed as I always found it to be very slippery when working with it.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:18 PM

The dimpled minky is more stretchy. The smooth ones are very pretty quilted, but the longer nap looks best with looser quilting. Shannon Cuddle is a very good quality minky, and comes in so many varieties. The minky at JoAnn's is a different brand, and is more stretchy. Fireside is made by Moda, and is a much thinner fabric than Shannon Cuddle, but it is very nice, too. Shannon Cuddle has been the most popular quilt backing fabric in the store, for several years.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:41 PM

My friend just quilted a baby quilt for her grandson and she was nervous, but it turned out beautifully and she said it was super easy! It's very forgiving - she used brown minkee with green thread, and you can't see the thread at all.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:11 AM

Default Thank you for the tips comparing minky to fireside fleece!

Quiltedsunshine!

I appreciate the advice you have given about your experience using minky and fleece. Does the fireside fleece ever get balls of fuzz from heavy use?

Last edited by copycat; 10-19-2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: added name at top
Old 10-19-2019, 02:32 AM

I have used minky on several quilts and have done both FMQ and using a walking foot and have had not trouble...
One did not have batting because my grandson lives in Key West so I just did cross hatching about 3 to 4 inches apart with a walking foot and it came out great. I did use batting in one with a yellow minky background and FMQd with a matching thread and you could barely see the quilting on the back side. Other than the fuzzies you get from cutting, I like working with minky.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:12 AM

I have used minky many times for backing. No problems at all. The dimpled I tried for the first time last week with much hesitation but it turned out fine. Always use batting as it keeps from feeling the seams through to the other side. If you want it light, try Quilters Dream Request batting as it is very thin. Fireside is my favorite! My local quilt stored ordered a color card and I chose the color I wanted them to order for me. I do have a long arm...just be careful not to stretch the minky too much with your clips.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Quiltedsunshine!

I appreciate the advice you have given about your experience using minky and fleece. Does the fireside fleece ever get balls of fuzz from heavy use?
Honestly, I don't know. They go home with someone and I don't see them after use. I might have to ask.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Tish, can you tell us where you buy Fireside Fleece? It's new to me too, and sounds like fun to try.

I was able to find only 1 online store that has it...in a limited number of colors.

All of these quilts posted here sure are pretty!
They sell Fireside at a number of the quilt stores in and around Calgary, so I've been buying mine at the store. There is a Canadian online store in British Columbia called DinkyDoo who sell it online and often have sales if you purchase an entire bolt.

Re the question about balls of fuzz, I haven't washed my Life of the Honeybee quilt yet (it's the black backing in the pictures), but it's been used on our bed in our motorhome and there's no fuzz or pills on it yet.

As far as the available colours, it doesn't come in a huge range of colours but the colours that are available are still pretty useful. For the two quilts I'm currently working on, both for my brother's teenage granddaughters, I chose a lime green for the turtle quilt and a purple for the cat quilt. I think they will look great when done and I think the girls will love having that as the back side of their quilts, since they both like colours (what teenage girl doesn't?)
Old 10-20-2019, 09:41 AM

I do a lot of quilts with minky , you just have to make sure the stretch is going top to bottom on a longarm.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:27 AM

Quilted sunshine in Utah, thanks for the info! I am going to do a web search for Shannon Cuddle immediately. ;->)

Last edited by frannella; 10-20-2019 at 11:30 AM.