How good is good enough?

How good is good enough?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by deedles215
Originally Posted by tkhooper
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I love my 1/4" foot with the guide :)
ditto
Where can one find something like that? At an LQS or a sewing machine repair shop or something- or can I look at JoAnne?
I just got one for my Janome at my LQS. They carry extra feet for many different applications. Haven't used it yet, but will this weekend. I finished quilting my sister's quilt last night and will be putting on the binding this weekend. I'll let you know how the 1/4" foot works.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 AM

There are many square rulers you can use. It is best if you use one that is at least as large (or larger) than your blocks. They all have a diagonal line going through them, corner to corner. Place that line on the diagonal of the block and you will see where it is off. You want to cut all sides so that the block is square - equal on all sides. You will need to reposition the ruler after cutting the first 2 sides.
I wish I could draw this, but hopefully you will be able to understand this.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM

When I first started I got in trouble with the cutting as well as the 1/4" seam. Check you strips. Did you use the ruler or cutting mat as a guide? Which side of the line did you use? I didn't know it would make a difference when I first started. Also the pressing of the fabric can make a big difference. It's good you are doing a rail fence first. Keep going, it will look good when finished and you can work on making them more accurate as you go along. If you have to piece the backing, you could easily use up the ones that are too small on the back.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
remember if your blocks are 1/8" off, in 8 blocks that equals 1" off...which can really make a difference, you would be better off after making all the blocks trimming them to the measurement of the smallest one and making them all equal...better yet...
find your 1/4"!!!
cut two 3" squares, sew them together along one side, and press seam allowance to one side, measure, it should measure 5 1/2" if not adjust and try again, once you find your 1/4" mark it on the sewing machine (some people use masking tape, there's lots of 'stuff' on the market)
once you are sewing a consistant 1/4" your blocks will fit together easier.
good luck.
the trimming them all to match works, but sometimes you loose points doing it that way it's better to work on being more consistant.
This is right on and when you take quilting classes they usually have you do the swatch to check that your seam allowance is correct.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by deedles215
Originally Posted by tkhooper
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I love my 1/4" foot with the guide :)
ditto
Where can one find something like that? At an LQS or a sewing machine repair shop or something- or can I look at JoAnne?
I found one for my Janome at http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/sewing-feet.php They have them for many brands of machines, are easy to select and very helpful by phone if you need further help.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Someone once told me if you didn't notice when you rode by on a galloping horse it was good enough. Now I don't know if I exactly subscribe to that, but a little fudge factor is certainly built into all of my quilts and no one has ever refused one (yet). So have fun with it. You will get better as time goes by. Practice with a 1/4" foot and that will help a lot.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Use graph paper to measure an accurate 1/4 inch. Stick several pages of post-it note pages at 1/4 in. If you but your fabric against edge of pages when you sew you should have accurate quarter inch seams. Learned this from a quilting teacher. However, if within 1/8" I would go for it. If it is good enough for Eleanor Burns its good enough for me.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I am sure they will be okay. 1/8th is not much at all.