Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a quilting group at a retirement center >

Starting a quilting group at a retirement center

Starting a quilting group at a retirement center

Old 10-29-2019, 08:43 PM

Default Starting a quilting group at a retirement center

We are moving my in laws to a retirement center nearby. I am seriously considering starting a quilting group there. There isn’t one currently, and the apartments are so small I don’t expect anyone to have their own machines or fabric stash. I have 5 travel size machines as well as a number of other machines I could bring in as needed. I’m thinking of making up kits for easy pillow cases for a first meeting, then expecting them to provide their own fabric after that. I can help with online shopping, and talk to the center about a fabric shopping trip into town. There is only a couple of thrift shops in town, no fabric stores. If the center could give us a closet for storage, I could put up an ad soliciting fabric donations.
What am I not thinking of?
Old 10-30-2019, 03:35 AM

I think that is a very kind and generous offer. Do you know if there is an interest in a sewing/quilting group in the community? I think getting the answer to that question is your first step. If you've already done that - apologies. Otherwise I think you have a great plan! Hope everyone enjoys.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:46 AM

Well, I hope when and if I'm in the retirement home position that there is a quilting day. I'm sure I will ask where quilting is. Probably many times a day. It's been so ingrained in me to get up and sew and to join the quilting girls once a week that I can't imagine life without it. Nursing homes try to keep their residents active, productive and happy. They all have diverse activities. Ask about a craft room available. They may have a room that you could actually leave your machines and fabric in. The group I'm in now is very diverse. People come to do whatever they are working on. Quilting by hand, piecing, applique, putting on binding, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, beading. Anyone is welcome even if it's to visit. At this age, I will want that until I'm gone. So, yes yes yes. Do it. I'm sure the activity director would welcome you. Good luck and let us know how things go.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:58 AM

You'd probably need a rotary cutter or two, some rulers, a cutting mat, scissors, thread too unless you plan to do all the cutting ?
Extension cord(s) to plug machines in, is the lighting good enough or will you need additional lamps?
That's all I can think of for now
Old 10-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Oh how sweet and thoughtful. the quilters could take turns on the machine, sewing pieces together for others and such. small scissors, some sort of trash cans or what ever to put threads into, comfortable chairs or pads for them, etc.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:14 PM

I love this idea!!!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

​If you belong to a guild, put in a call for extra supplies.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

As you get this group established, a thought of future purchase may be an automatic fabric cutter like the Accuquilt Go Big. I know of older women who have purchased them to save on their shoulders and hands so they can spend more time sewing. Another alternative might be for a local guild to have the Go and cut the shapes for them. A recent Go purchaser loves how the shapes fit so well together. She had just sewn a "flag" quilt using the Tumbler die for QOV.

Best of luck in your wonderful idea.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:50 PM

I'm actually getting ready to head to our local assisted living home right now.... a group of ladies meets once a week there to do hand work. I usually embroider or crochet. It's lovely and I think it brings a bright spot to some people's week.

Definitely call the activities director or manager of the facility to see if there is space and interest.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:10 PM

Don't forget to consider adequate lighting, and make sure that you don't overload the circuit breaker when plugging in lots of machines and irons etc. Guess what happened to our little group the first day we met. When you blow a circuit, everything gets very dark. Unless there is a window and it isn't dark outside.

I would love to join you!
Too bad I live so far away.