How fast do you go?

Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Wait, what? You mean fabric is not like fine wine and cheese and needs to age a few years before you use it so you are assured of never getting another scrap of it if you run short?

OK if I take the fabric aging process out of the equation I still take a long time. Some projects really grab me and I work on them steadily from first cut to final stitch but they are really few and far between. If hard pressed with some kind of deadline I can do a simple pattern start to finish in a few months (I only have time and energy to quilt on weekends). But my preference is for more complex patterns and intricate quilting. Once I have the top pieced it also will age a while before getting loaded on the rack. Usually awaiting motivation or courage (because I have decided on a very challenging quilting design) and/or time.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Wait, what? You mean fabric is not like fine wine and cheese and needs to age a few years before you use it so you are assured of never getting another scrap of it if you run short?

OK if I take the fabric aging process out of the equation I still take a long time. Some projects really grab me and I work on them steadily from first cut to final stitch but they are really few and far between. If hard pressed with some kind of deadline I can do a simple pattern start to finish in a few months (I only have time and energy to quilt on weekends). But my preference is for more complex patterns and intricate quilting. Once I have the top pieced it also will age a while before getting loaded on the rack. Usually awaiting motivation or courage (because I have decided on a very challenging quilting design) and/or time.
Your work is - fantastic!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:36 AM

Glad to know I’m in the majority here about the slow quilters. I tried once (out of curiosity) to track my time on a quilt. That didn’t include shopping for the fabric because I didn’t think about tracking till it was out of the dryer and I was ironing it!

The closest estimate I could get from logging my time (ironing, cutting, piecing, ripping, redoing, playing with a layout and taking pictures of each as I went, then sandwiching and binding, was 40 hours on a quilt approximately 50x62.

Some projects could be whipped up in a weekend if all I had to do was sew, and if my personality was one-thing-at-a- time from start to finish . I only do that when there’s a deadline such as a bday, shower, or holiday or a donation collection date that I don’t want to miss .

I hang out with my quilts like they’re friends. My friends aren’t high maintenance, they don’t clamor for attention, they are happy to pick up where we left off.

Last edited by zozee; 10-31-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10-31-2019, 08:48 AM

I make about one quilt a month. I don't like to have UFO's so I make the whole thing from cutting, piecing, quilting to binding. I have no reason to be speedy; I can do it so I do
Old 10-31-2019, 09:10 AM
mim

I live in Maine ans WA state-- 6 months each year. I don't carry my quilts back and forth. I hand quilt so I have a quilt on each coast. I am working on 2 quilts - a king and a queen. It will take 3 years to finish each. In summer I am outside in the gardens most of the time and only quilt on rainy days. In winter I quilt while watching football or other sports with DH. Small projects like baby quilts and wall hangings, I finish right away as I have a use for them.

Don't fuss about time -- quilting is supposed to be a pleasure -- not a chore to be finished.

On the down side -- I have half done quilt tops not finished fron 10 or 20 years ago. Time to donate to the charity quilts projects at my quilt group.

Just enjoy!!

Mim
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
How quickly do you complete a quilting project?

Except for a commissioned/hired project, does it really matter?
Old 10-31-2019, 12:09 PM

For me most quilts take about a month with the best laid plans and no major hiccups. Sometimes, life happens and I don’t get to sew for a few weeks, but then I get right back on the bandwagon and work to get it done so I can move on to a new project. I fear UFOs and don’t want any, so I only work on one project at a time, once it’s on the Longarm and ready to quilt, then I give myself permission to start a new project or wait till I find inspiration for the next.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:14 AM

Being retired, quilting is one of my hobbies not a job. But I am one of those that works on a project till it is done. Just me.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:49 AM

It's the sandwiching that slows me down. Just sitting here thinking about finished tops, I come up with at least 10. Once I get the sandwich done, which I usually glue together, I love the FMQ process. And the gluing doesn't take that long at all. I can glue a quilt in about 15 minutes. It's the process of getting started that slows me down. I'd rather just go to the machine and start a new one!
Old 11-01-2019, 05:04 AM

I’m usually in my quilt room 4-6 hours a day. I have a sit down mid arm so am not dependent of someone else finishing my quilts. So start to finish is really fast. I can do a baby quilt in 3-4 days and a lap quilt in a week or so. I tend to get bored quickly so I usually have several projects going at once. Right now, I have 5 tops done, working on backing for last one now. Planning a marathon basting session, followed by some marathon FMQ’ing. Goal is to have 3 of them done in 2 weeks. My stack has to get smaller. Then its time for a massive reorganization and cleaning of my room. There is no one “right” speed for a project. Do what makes you happy!
Old 11-01-2019, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

At my convenience. I quilt for my own pleasure. I enjoy the process. I am never in a hurry or with a deadline. My mojo comes and goes and I go with it.