How fast do you go?

Old 11-01-2019, 07:56 AM

I am all about enjoying the process.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:07 AM

Never fast enough! Or more commonly, as fast as I need to. I think I may have QDS, quilt distractability syndrome. It is so easy to get distracted with a new pattern, technique or project. Then I right turn and off I go on something new. What is left behind is my current unfinished piece. I do get back to them before they turn into true UFO's. So how fast do I complete a quilting project. I can do a small quilt in a week but a couple of months is more common.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

One month, I finished 9 quilts for donation to the cancer center. I was exhausted! LOL
Old 11-02-2019, 04:33 AM

Well, you guys won't like me much, but I have made 50 quilts so far this year. Several were quick little baby quilts, some, actually most were queen size, and many were large lap size. When I start a project I have to see it through to finish or I lose interest. This year I usually had 3 going at a time, in various stages of completion. A goodly share of my quilts are for various charities, so I don't do anything complicated. I do a lot of Jenny Doan's tutorials. I love quilting, also have my own longarm, so I can quilt them right after finishing the top. Occasionally I do a complicated quilt, but this year I have committed myself to using up stash and working on kits I have purchased when they were on sale. I use a lot of precuts which saves a lot of cutting time. I don't consider it a race, just a feeling of accomplishment, and joy in giving to those in need.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:23 AM

LOL! Blitzkreig in spruts. I only do charity quits and work within a bee. I don't do any of the work after the top is pieced. I usually leave a top or two laid out on my floor (my design wall) overnight to "simmer." When I wake up, I make adjustments and do two things. I web/piece the tops and I start my robot vacuum. I usually complete two or more tops per day. Any time leftover is spent piecing blocks which I usually do at night. I also do leaders and enders. Some tops are wheelchair sized but others can get really big. It just depends on what happens to the donated fabrics when they meet my stash. I don't get to quilt everyday but when I do, I am all in. I bought a Janome that only does straight stitching and has a little dial on it with a turtle on the left and a jackrabbit on the right. Yep, I'm on or close to the rabbit most times.

If I am at home and not piecing, I am cutting (and piecing) backs or bindings for the bees' completed tops. I have achieved my nirvana in the quilt production process. The need is great and I totally enjoy the parts of the process that I'm working on.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:29 AM

I usually go as I have time, unless like now with Christmas approaching. Trying to get 9 made. Prayers please Ha!
Old 11-02-2019, 05:59 AM

The thing that makes me go fast, is a deadline coming up. I have three quilt shows and two county fairs in less than 20 miles from me. Why not have something in them. Most things can get shown in all five of these places and sometimes I skip some of them for this year. Our local show is in an old two room school, so it is very small. One year we had 13 large quilts. I really try to add something to this show every year. A lot of people like this show for its "old home" feeling and we have the best food. Some come just for the food.
Our county fair displays the quilts folded up behind glass doors. I don't like that so I don't enter that one much.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:42 PM

It depends on the project. Some quilts marinate. I am slow. However, I can be motivated if there is a need or I promised to finish for a challenge. For example, I have a challenge due in a month. It will be done.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:35 AM

Some quilts take a l-o-n-g time to what I call "mature". I rarely work from commercial patterns, so it takes me a long time to figure out design, fabric, borders and then the quilting pattern...It can take years. So of course I'm working on other things at the same time.

Others are spur of the moment and I can design it, piece it and quilt it in an afternoon.

Sometimes, I get a little obsessed and I'll spend days piecing a quilt straight through and then quilting it and binding it and it's done in a week.

Or, I can spend months working on a fabric collage for a quilt and not working on anything else.

If I know I have a deadline, like a baby quilt I start way ahead of time because I don't do great with deadlines.

Watson
Old 11-10-2019, 04:47 AM

I don't usually make "quilt sized quilts" - mine are not generally bigger than 60x60 because they become too cumbersome to quilt on my machine.

I quilt for about 4-5 hours a day, and usually make about 3-4 a month. I start one and will finish it (except the binding). Then I pick a day and will bind about 10 of them at once!

Sometimes, weather depending, I can make 6 in a month!

I can usually do 40-50 quilts a year, and I donate all of them in late November so they have something for Christmas to hand out.